I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted)

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #11  
I have had several transfer tanks over the years. Many have had lifting eyes but as said above they are designed to be lifted empty. I have never seen one designed to be lifted full. The drum as mentioned above would work great or you could buy something like this Delta Steel Transfer Tank, 50 gal. - 0828000 | Tractor Supply Company and set it on a pallet to fork it in and out of your truck. As far as filters go I have one on my tank now, but ran for years without one on my previous rig with no problems. If you use clean fuel and don't get dirt in your tank you don't really need a filter.

Thats the tank I carry around ... plumbed with an inline filter and equiped with a 12V pump ... fits in the truck as well as the JD Gator. As said use a pallet and you can forklift it from vehicle to vehicle. I pull up to the farm tank and put my fuel in the transfer tank and off I go.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #12  
I have been using a 55 gal blue plastic drum and a hand pump. Was able to skid it onto my forks full and strapped it to the frame for transport. No problems so far. 10.00 for barrel an 55 for the pump.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #14  
I why not use a 12volt transfer pump?
There is no reason not to use a 12 v pump.The cost is not that much greater than an upper quality hand pump .The benefits of a 12 V pump over a hand pump far and away ought weigh the small extra cost.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #16  
What kind of budget do you have? I'm like the others here.....$12 for a 55 gallon plastic drum, $32 for a rotary hand pump @ HF, a Golden Rod Water filter from TSC, a hose & you are good to go!!!! I put mine on a wooden pallet and can lift it in the truck bed to take it to the station to fill. Pretty easy and convenient....at least I think so. Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #17  
Oh, word of caution on the water filters, once they have absorbed all the water they can or will, you won't be able to pump any fuel thru your system! You will get the impression that the pump is broke.....its the filter! I've found the water filters at Rural King for 1/3 less than TSC. Good luck!

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #18  
I have a 275 gallon tank that I use for my tractor with a Fill rite pump & 10 micron filter that I bought at auction.

My supplier will sell heating oil for $3.199 delivered cash versus $3.499 at the pump for off road.
However there is a 150 gallon minimum for these prices.
As much as I hated to I just purchased 212 gallons @ $3.199. This should last me for 2 or 3 years.
It is a lot of money but diesel stores well and you can buy when there is a drop in prices.
My timing was good as the prices were at a low and are now going up.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #19  
YOu can find everything you need for fuel system storage at Tractor Supply --Aluminum tank, hose, filter housing, spare filters, nozzles, pumps (hand and electric) if you want to drop $600 or more or take your time and search for a slightly used one on craigslist and negotiate a deal on it.

Got my 50 gal. painted white steel transfer tank, pump, filter from Tractor Supply. The only part that was junk was the hand nozzle & transfer hose. I purchased a heavy duty hose & nozzle assembly from NAPA.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #20  
LBrown59's setup plumbing a couple of 55gal plastic drums together is appealing to me.

I've been thinking of getting 3 of the 55gal plastic drums, use one for transporting diesel fuel home in the truck, and have the other two plumbed together for storage.
I would like to use a 12V pump to unload the fuel from the transport drum into which ever one is empty, and be able to select which storage drum to fill the tractor from.
Any reason this won't work? Perhaps someone could make a quick drawing to show what valves and fittings I would need.

Some questions about the parts needed:
1. Are all of the used Plastic drums the same? If not, what should I look for in terms of construction, prior usage and threaded holes for fittings? (diameter and thread size).
2. Where is the best place to get a pump? I see this one at Northern Tools but perhaps there is a good one cheaper somewhere else.
3. I see people mentioning a Golden Rod Filter, is this a good one? If not what should I use?
4. Where should I get the rest of the fittings and hose? I'm assuming you would use pipe dope and not teflon tape to seal the threads up.

Other advice and comments welcome.