I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted)

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #21  
LBrown59's setup plumbing a couple of 55gal plastic drums together is appealing to me.

1*I've been thinking of getting 3 of the 55gal plastic drums, use one for transporting diesel fuel home in the truck, and have the other two plumbed together for storage.
2*I would like to use a 12V pump to unload the fuel from the transport drum into which ever one is empty, and be able to select which storage drum to fill the tractor from.
3*Any reason this won't work?
4*Perhaps someone could make a quick drawing to show what valves and fittings I would need.

Some questions about the parts needed:
11*. Are all of the used Plastic drums the same? If not, what should I look for in terms of construction, prior usage and threaded holes for fittings? (diameter and thread size).
12*. Where is the best place to get a pump? I see this
one at Northern Tools but perhaps there is a good one cheaper somewhere else.
13*. I see people mentioning a Golden Rod Filter, is this a good
one? If not what should I use?
14*. Where should I get the rest of the fittings and hose? I'm assuming you would use pipe dope and not teflon tape to seal the threads up.

1*That's how mine is set up.
2*My set up does that.
3*None at all!
Been using mine since 2008 without a hitch spill leak or failure of any kind.

4*Take a close look at these pictures.
100_2583.jpg
100_2582.jpg
100_2378.jpg
100_2377.jpg

100_2376.jpg

You will need this fitting to replace the 2" bung cap/plug.
I got the short pipe and the fitting at a plumbing shop and they welded the 2 pieces as shown in the last 3photos.
I discovered nobody makes swuch a fitting so I had to design my own and have it welded up .
The cap /plug is a standard pipe thread.
The other 2 inch course thread plug /cap is for a 3/4 inch vent fitting .
Don't throw it away cause you will need it..
If you need to know more send a PM to me.

11*Make sure drums are stamped the same as the 5 gallon cans at wall mart etc.
12*That's a good price .I'd get it now while it's on sale. It's a good pump . I've had mine for 4 yrs.
13*It's fine and what I have just make sure you get the one that filters water and particals both.
14*I used auto fuel line hose from an auro parts store.
Don't use any galvinised pie or fittings.
I used teflon tape with no ill effects.

Last edited:
   / I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #22  
LBrown59: Thanks for the response, lets see if I understand how your setup works.

1. The hose that's to the left of the light bulb is the one you use to fill the tractor, you just open one of the ball valves to a barrel and turn on the pump.
Do you have a nozzle like the Northern Tool pump does, and what happens to the fuel flow if the pump is on but the handle on the nozzle is not pulled?
N/T says the max suction lift of the pump is 6.5ft but it has no problems pulling fuel from a barrel in a pickup bed?

2. The hose that runs over the top and is coiled in the RH corner is the one you use to unload a full barrel that's in your truck?
I can't see how the input to the pump splits to this hose and the barrel's.
I also can't see a ball valve on it, so how do you keep the pump from pulling from it when your pumping from a barrel to the tractor?

3. When filling a storage barrel, do you just pull your vent and run the nozzle in there?
The Ball valves look like a water shutoff type is this ok for Diesel?
I'm assuming all the rest of your fittings came from a plumbing supply?

4. The bung is a 2" threaded cap with a pipe welded into it, is the pipe a 1/2" ID?
I'm assuming all the hose is fuel rated 3/4" ID?
Do you pull fuel from a bit off the bottom of the barrel, and is there a screen on the intake?

5. "Make sure drums are stamped the same as the 5 gallon cans at walmart etc"
I'm not sure what this means, as the barrels I have seen locally were used for the food industry and not labeled for gasoline or fuel.
The barrels have two 2" openings, one is a fine thread where the bung goes and the other is a coarse thread and is adapted down to the vent?

6. I guess Diesel breaks down the galvanized coating on pipe, so use black iron variety.

Last edited:
   / I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #23  
LBrown59: Thanks for the response, lets see if I understand how your setup works.

1. The hose that's to the left of the light bulb is the one you use to fill the tractor, you just open one of the ball valves to a barrel and turn on the pump.
Do you have a nozzle like the Northern Tool pump does, and what happens to the fuel flow if the pump is on but the handle on the nozzle is not pulled?
N/T says the max suction lift of the pump is 6.5ft but it has no problems pulling fuel from a barrel in a pickup bed?

2. The hose that runs over the top and is coiled in the RH corner is the one you use to unload a full barrel that's in your truck?
I can't see how the input to the pump splits to this hose and the barrel's.
I also can't see a ball valve on it, so how do you keep the pump from pulling from it when your pumping from a barrel to the tractor?

3. When filling a storage barrel, do you just pull your vent and run the nozzle in there?
The Ball valves look like a water shutoff type is this ok for Diesel?
I'm assuming all the rest of your fittings came from a plumbing supply?

4. The bung is a 2" threaded cap with a pipe welded into it, is the pipe a 1/2" ID?
I'm assuming all the hose is fuel rated 3/4" ID?
Do you pull fuel from a bit off the bottom of the barrel, and is there a screen on the intake?

5. "Make sure drums are stamped the same as the 5 gallon cans at walmart etc"
I'm not sure what this means, as the barrels I have seen locally were used for the food industry and not labeled for gasoline or fuel.
The barrels have two 2" openings, one is a fine thread where the bung goes and the other is a coarse thread and is adapted down to the vent?

6. I guess Diesel breaks down the galvanized coating on pipe, so use black iron variety.
1*Correct but you have to have the correct valves on and off.
2*Yes that's right.
2 valves are locacted bewween the pump and the building wall that you can't see in the pictures . The hoses are teed off between the pump and the wall. You can't see that in the pictures cause the pump is blocking the view .
3*Yes.
They will work for gas water or diesel.
Lowes and a plumbing supplier.
4*The pipe is either 3/4 or 1'' .
You need a pipe 6 to 10 inches long that will go through the 2'' reducer leaving the smallest gap possible to weld closed .
It is fuel rated purchased at an auto parts store.
I used 1/2inch hose because it is more flexable and easier to handle.
Works great !
5*I could not think of the code number when i postd so i looked at my drums tonight the number is H D P E.
IF that is stamped on your drums you're good to go.I found it on the botton of my drums.
6*It flakes of into the diesel .
I used a combination of brass and copper .
I tried to avoid black pipe fittings except for the special fitting that goes into the drum because of the rust factor .
About an inch from the bottom or so .
The pick up tube is cut off at an angle and is about 1/8 '' from the bottom of the drum .
I fashoned my own screen using Alum.screen wire and attached it to th angled cut off end of the pick up tube using a hose clamp.

Last edited:
   / I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #24  
There is a fitting available for insertion into the bung hole. It is called a double tapped bushing. There is threads on top and bottom to allow a pipe nipple to be screwed into. Pipe fitting supply houses will stock them or someplace like McMaster-Carr

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #25  
I set mine up very similar to LBrowns except I used schedule 40 pvc valves and even for the barrel fitting. I used a 2" male NPT x 1" female socket(glue type) I then used a hole saw to run the socket opening through the fitting. I then inserted a piece of 1" PVC schedule 40 pipe through the fitting so that it would go to the bottom of the barrel. After setting the depth I glued the pipe in place. I can take a picture of the fitting if anybody is interested.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #26  
I can take a picture of the fitting if anybody is interested.

I'm interested, pictures of overall setup, and all fittings/attachments would be very much appreciated.
Trying to learn all I can before I start buying my parts.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #27  
My set up is the same pump as Lbrown with an automatic shut off nozzle and a water trap filter. I will take a pic of the set up as soon as I can get out to the shop.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #28  
I'm interested, pictures of overall setup, and all fittings/attachments would be very much appreciated.

100_2588.jpg

This picture shows a better view of the hoses on the pump and the 2 shut off valves

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #29  

Here is a better picture showing a clearer view of the tee and the 2 green shut off valves.
photos044.jpg

This should help as it shows the tee and the 2 green shut off valves you were wondering about .

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #30  
Thanks for the additional pics.
You mentioned using 1/2" ID hoses, the one's on the input side of the pump look larger than the one on the output side of the filter.
Perhaps its just because they are closer to the camera?