I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted)

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #31  
What about static electricity? Are any of you worried about that or have something setup to neutralize it? I would be worried about that especially with the plastic drums. But would like your opinion because I need a tank too and have been struggling with worrying about static, and also moving the tank full. I like the idea of the square tank TSC has and strapping it to a pallet for transport.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #32  
Thanks for the additional pics.
You mentioned using 1/2" ID hoses, the one's on the input side of the pump look larger than the one on the output side of the filter.
Perhaps its just because they are closer to the camera?
You are right They are 5/8 inch .
I had to buy hose 2 different times because I didn't get enough the first time.
I didn't notice I got the 5/8 by mistake the second time until I started putting it all together so i went ahead and used the 5/8 instead of having to run back to town for the 1/2.
Either one will work but if i ever have to replace the hose i would switch the 5/8 hose and go with the 1/2 .
If i were to build another rig I would use all 1/2 like i intended to do in the first place.
100_2588.jpg

*Another thing i'd like to point out is the white fitting on the end of the curled hose hose hanging on the wall .
It is a filter to keep dirt and other crud out of the pump and fuel.
It is a foot valve purchased at Lowes that I motified into a filtering screen.
I first tried putting a piece of screen over the hose and clamping it on with a hose clamp however this didn't work when i tried pumping fuel from a 5 gallon can because the hose clamp was to big to fit into tne can opening.
Thus the white fitting that drops right into a fuel can.

What about static electricity? Are any of you worried about that or have something setup to neutralize it? I would be worried about that especially with the plastic drums. But would like your opinion because I need a tank too and have been struggling with worrying about static, and also moving the tank full.
I like the idea of the square tank TSC has and strapping it to a pallet for transport.
Static electricity is only a priblem with gasoline .
There is little or no issue with diesel.
Build a system like mine and forget about moving containers of fuel.

I wouldn't trade my rig for 3 of the TSC tanks.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #33  
Earlier you mentioned the vent and needing to keep the original barrel's plug.
Did you modify the plug, or did it come with a smaller plug that when removed left a hole that was threaded to fit the vent tube?

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #34  
This is a simple diesel tank I fabricated from an old refer trailer. I picked up the tank and saddle for $100. The pump and filter from Northern tools for another $100 and I have it sitting on a wooden platform with 8 wheels that I made from scrap around the shop. I fabricated the angle iron frame out of scrap around the shop.
I pick it up with the front end loader and place it into the truck bed and take it to go fill it at the local off road diesel station a few miles away. Bring it back and off load it back on to the roller platform and move it around my shop. It took me a weekend playing around cutting and welding but it all was pretty much straight forward and works great.

Attachments

• refer tank.jpg
    refer tank.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
   / I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #35  
I like it, looks like a simple mechanical gauge to show fuel level.
Might be able to get a tank from a truck salvage, how many gallons does the it hold?

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #36  
50 gallons. Try to get it with the saddle bands and mount. Around here they usually sell for about $1 a gallon, I paid a little more because I was in a hurry and he had the mount too.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #37  
Earlier you mentioned the vent and needing to keep the original barrel's plug.
Did you modify the plug, or did it come with a smaller plug that when removed left a hole that was threaded to fit the vent tube?

photos030-1.jpg

This is a good view of the vent screwed into the cap.
The cap has a 3/4 inch pipe thread in the center with a knock out in it .
I just took a 1/2 inch drill and drilled through the center of the knock out .
1/2 is plenty as you don't want to go so large that you screw up the 3/4" threads in the cap.

Last edited:
   / I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #38  
I just use a metal 55 gallon drum with a pump screwed into it. It sits on a wooden frame with cheap HF wheels under it. I put quick disconnects on the fuel line and power cord so they can be easily removed. Since I burn heating oil I don't have to worry about bringing it anywhere to be filled, just have it filled when they fill my HHO tanks. It';s simple but works fine and being mobile it's easy to move out of the way.
S7300896.jpg

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #39  
Well I finally got around to taking some pics of the fuel set up. My set up is similar to LBrowns but is made to able to load in my truck to get fuel(no delivery in my area). The fuel pump sets on the top rails and is easily removed by springing the sides in a little and lifting the unistrut bracket off the cage. I just set a battery on the top rail while fueling but will likely make a tray for it when I figure exactly what I want.

DSCN0001a.jpgDSCN0002a.jpgDSCN0003a.jpgDSCN0004a.jpgDSCN0007a.jpgDSCN0009a.jpg

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #40  
Thanks for the pics, I assume PVC and Diesel work ok together?