I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted)

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I would like to purchase a transfer tank (about 50 gallons) to keep from having to fuel my tractors with 5 gallon fuel cans. I would like either aluminum or stainless. Also, I need to be able to lift it in and out of my truck bed or trailer (empty or full) with a tractor FEL. I want some sort of hand pump (not electric) and I need to know about filters and water separators. I noticed that most fuel tanks have filters although some do not. Any recommendations, or favorite brands? thanks

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #2  
I know it's primitive, but I use a 50 gal. drum. I have a rotary hand pump from Northern and installed a filter/water separator inline. I also use a drum lifter from Northern that is a chain device that quickly clamps to the drum so I can lift it from my truck bed with my FEL. When on the ground, I strap it to a hand truck so it's mobile. Was very cheap and works great. I buy either off road diesel or fuel oil, lift it from my truck, and place it in my shed. The crank pump will dispense 15 gallons very easily and quickly. This whole rig will cost much less than the tank you describe. Not as sexy but functions very well. Drums are cheap and I have used this for 3 years without a problem. A stainless or aluminum tank will costs many hundreds.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #3  
You see a number of these type tanks (especially the retangular aluminum ones) on Craigslist. That would seem to be the easiest to transport in a pickup, but you would have to mount some lifting points or something for forks (if you have FEL forks). I've seen some with the filters/water separators already mounted. The pumps were 12volt type.
Obviously, I looking for one too...but I have limited funds and other priorities right now.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #4  
None of the tanks I have seen have lugs built for lifting a full tank. Some (like mine) have lifting lugs on top for lifting the tank when EMPTY ONLY and I am sure you would have a ripped out tank if you attempted to lift it when full using those lifting loops. Mine is a 105 gallon steel tank painted white and it works quiet well for me. I bought 4 steel-wheelled swivel rollers and bolted them to the tabs on the tank that were made to bolt it down. It is fairly easy to roll around when full and it keeps it off the floor enough that straps or forks could be used to lift it. I have a fuel distributor deliver fuel so I dont have to load it but if I did, I would just throw 2 straps around it and lift it with the FEL. I have a 15 GPM 12 volt pump that came with the tank (bought off Craigslist) and a 20 foot hose, water separator filter with auto- shutoff nozzle which I highly recommend to prevent overflow and fuel spills. I dont know if they would work with a hand pump or not though. I gave $350 for the tank with pump, hose, filter and nozzle which was a good deal as the pump cost almost that much alone. I havent looked for any lately, but there was usually 1 or 2 for sale every week at large savings over new. If you are not storing the tank outside, aluminum is not a necessity for diesel tank as a steel tank is not going to rust holding diesel. Aluminum tanks are about double the cost of steel.
For powering the pump, I just bought a small battery ($65) and a $20 maintainer charger that sets on top of the tank. Much more convenient than raising the tractor hood and hooking up clamps to the tractor battery. The little 1.5 amp charger keeps it charged all the time.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #5  
YOu can find everything you need for fuel system storage at Tractor Supply --Aluminum tank, hose, filter housing, spare filters, nozzles, pumps (hand and electric) if you want to drop $600 or more or take your time and search for a slightly used one on craigslist and negotiate a deal on it.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #6  
DeeZee has a nice one with a locking tool box attached to it for storing your pump and hoses. You can transfer about 50 gallons in five minutes with a wobble pump. Good workout on the shoulders.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #7  
I would like to purchase a transfer tank (about 50 gallons) to keep from having to fuel my tractors with 5 gallon fuel cans. 1* I would like either aluminum or stainless. 2* I need to be able to lift it in and out of my truck bed or trailer (empty or full) with a tractor FEL. 3*I want some sort of hand pump (not electric) .4* I need to know about filters and water separators.
1*That's expensive especially since a $o,oo to $20.00 plastic drum will wwork just as well . 2*Plumb it to be self filling and forget lifting it in and out your truck bed or trailer (empty or full) with a tractor FEL.. 3*What's wrong with an electric pump?4*I used a golden rod spin on water separating filter on my rig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #8  
1*That's expensive especially since a $o,oo to $20.00 plastic drum will wwork just as well . 2*Plumb it to be self filling and forget lifting it in and out your truck bed or trailer (empty or full) with a tractor FEL.. 3*What's wrong with an electric pump?4*I used a golden rod spin on water separating filter on my set ups
~~~~~~~
first rig

2nd rig

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #9  
I have had several transfer tanks over the years. Many have had lifting eyes but as said above they are designed to be lifted empty. I have never seen one designed to be lifted full. The drum as mentioned above would work great or you could buy something like this Delta Steel Transfer Tank, 50 gal. - 0828000 | Tractor Supply Company and set it on a pallet to fork it in and out of your truck. As far as filters go I have one on my tank now, but ran for years without one on my previous rig with no problems. If you use clean fuel and don't get dirt in your tank you don't really need a filter.

/ I need a diesel transfer tank (opinions wanted) #10  
I have had several transfer tanks over the years. Many have had lifting eyes but as said above they are designed to be lifted empty. I have never seen one designed to be lifted full. The drum as mentioned above would work great or you could buy something like this Delta Steel Transfer Tank, 50 gal. - 0828000 | Tractor Supply Company and set it on a pallet to fork it in and out of your truck. As far as filters go I have one on my tank now, but ran for years without one on my previous rig with no problems. If you use clean fuel and don't get dirt in your tank you don't really need a filter.

I agree with all of this , plus why not use a 12volt transfer pump?