Hydraulic oil differences

/ Hydraulic oil differences #1  

carmedic310

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier
My tractor manual recomends premium hydraulic fluid.My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?

/ Hydraulic oil differences #2  
good question

/ Hydraulic oil differences #3  
My tractor manual recomends premium hydraulic fluid.My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?

Premium hydraulic oil means any good quality hydraulic oil in my eyes. Heck they are not even giving you a weight or spec. I have hydraulic oil here that goes from 2000 hours all the way to 14000 hour life all in a 10 weight. The stuff from tractor supply will work fine. Beings you are in Maine I would use a 10 weight or AW32 for hydraulic oil. CJ

/ Hydraulic oil differences #4  
Operate a machine with a wet clutch or wet brakes with a non wet clutch oil? Be ready to spend big on replacing the friction material.
Go to your tractor dealer and purchase the oil they sell. A little more $$$ now and less $$$ later.
Counterfeit cheapo oil in brand name appearing containers is a wide spread problem. Beware of bargain Bubba's discount parts and products.

/ Hydraulic oil differences #5  
Operate a machine with a wet clutch or wet brakes with a non wet clutch oil? Be ready to spend big on replacing the friction material.
Go to your tractor dealer and purchase the oil they sell. A little more $$$ now and less $$$ later.
Counterfeit cheapo oil in brand name appearing containers is a wide spread problem. Beware of bargain Bubba's discount parts and products.

Yep but he said Hydraulic oil not trac trans or some other fluid designed for wet clutches. Most bigger equipment has seperate tanks for the hydraulic oil and trans fluid. This is my first unit with them combined. So I agree 100% if it is going into a trans/hyd res he need the multi fluid. CJ

/ Hydraulic oil differences #6  
Yep but he said Hydraulic oil not trac trans or some other fluid designed for wet clutches. Most bigger equipment has seperate tanks for the hydraulic oil and trans fluid. This is my first unit with them combined. So I agree 100% if it is going into a trans/hyd res he need the multi fluid. CJ

there are so many different machines and setup out there it's virtually impossible to say 'most bigger equipment has seperate tanks ).

my 70 and 95 hp tractors all share hyds and rear axle ( and more ).

i'm very surprised his unit does not list specs.

if I did not know what it had in there.. I'd find out what the sump layout was.. and in doubt.. use a utf/udt fluid..

soundguy

/ Hydraulic oil differences #7  
Are you running synthetics udt/utf?

there are so many different machines and setup out there it's virtually impossible to say 'most bigger equipment has seperate tanks ).

my 70 and 95 hp tractors all share hyds and rear axle ( and more ).

i'm very surprised his unit does not list specs.

if I did not know what it had in there.. I'd find out what the sump layout was.. and in doubt.. use a utf/udt fluid..

soundguy

/ Hydraulic oil differences #8  
non syn, UTF

/ Hydraulic oil differences #9  
Premium Hydraulic fluid typically means it's pour point.

As of recently - the past 3-4 years, tractor manufacturers have changed the requirement for cold pour points on hydraulic fluids. I believe, the new standard for 'Premium' UTF is -42 degrees F. Most cheap brand oils do not meet this.

Also mentioned, the change in base oils have upped the life span of it from a 2000 hour (or less) oil, to typically, a 6000-8000 hour oil. (Some 'turbine' grade oils will go 10000+ hours, etc.)

If it doesn't list what grade it's supposed to have, I would call your dealer and see what they recommend. I would imagine one of these three: UTF, AW32 or AW46. (46 if you're in a warmer climate.)

/ Hydraulic oil differences #10  
My tractor manual recommends premium hydraulic fluid. My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?

The price?

Seriously, I've been looking into hydraulic fluids lately too and there doesn't always seem to be a clear answer. Some people swear by Brand ABC, while other people say that Brand ABC is junk and that you should use Brand XYZ.