Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier

Default Hydraulic oil differences

My tractor manual recomends premium hydraulic fluid.My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Default Re: Hydraulic oil differences

good question
    Murph ------------

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Quote Originally Posted by carmedic310 View Post
    My tractor manual recomends premium hydraulic fluid.My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?
    Premium hydraulic oil means any good quality hydraulic oil in my eyes. Heck they are not even giving you a weight or spec. I have hydraulic oil here that goes from 2000 hours all the way to 14000 hour life all in a 10 weight. The stuff from tractor supply will work fine. Beings you are in Maine I would use a 10 weight or AW32 for hydraulic oil. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Operate a machine with a wet clutch or wet brakes with a non wet clutch oil? Be ready to spend big on replacing the friction material.
    Go to your tractor dealer and purchase the oil they sell. A little more $$$ now and less $$$ later.
    Counterfeit cheapo oil in brand name appearing containers is a wide spread problem. Beware of bargain Bubba's discount parts and products.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere View Post
    Operate a machine with a wet clutch or wet brakes with a non wet clutch oil? Be ready to spend big on replacing the friction material.
    Go to your tractor dealer and purchase the oil they sell. A little more $$$ now and less $$$ later.
    Counterfeit cheapo oil in brand name appearing containers is a wide spread problem. Beware of bargain Bubba's discount parts and products.
    Yep but he said Hydraulic oil not trac trans or some other fluid designed for wet clutches. Most bigger equipment has seperate tanks for the hydraulic oil and trans fluid. This is my first unit with them combined. So I agree 100% if it is going into a trans/hyd res he need the multi fluid. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by CJONE View Post
    Yep but he said Hydraulic oil not trac trans or some other fluid designed for wet clutches. Most bigger equipment has seperate tanks for the hydraulic oil and trans fluid. This is my first unit with them combined. So I agree 100% if it is going into a trans/hyd res he need the multi fluid. CJ
    there are so many different machines and setup out there it's virtually impossible to say 'most bigger equipment has seperate tanks ).

my 70 and 95 hp tractors all share hyds and rear axle ( and more ).

i'm very surprised his unit does not list specs.

if I did not know what it had in there.. I'd find out what the sump layout was.. and in doubt.. use a utf/udt fluid..

soundguy

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Are you running synthetics udt/utf?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    there are so many different machines and setup out there it's virtually impossible to say 'most bigger equipment has seperate tanks ).

my 70 and 95 hp tractors all share hyds and rear axle ( and more ).

i'm very surprised his unit does not list specs.

if I did not know what it had in there.. I'd find out what the sump layout was.. and in doubt.. use a utf/udt fluid..

soundguy
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

non syn, UTF

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Premium Hydraulic fluid typically means it's pour point.

As of recently - the past 3-4 years, tractor manufacturers have changed the requirement for cold pour points on hydraulic fluids. I believe, the new standard for 'Premium' UTF is -42 degrees F. Most cheap brand oils do not meet this.

Also mentioned, the change in base oils have upped the life span of it from a 2000 hour (or less) oil, to typically, a 6000-8000 hour oil. (Some 'turbine' grade oils will go 10000+ hours, etc.)

If it doesn't list what grade it's supposed to have, I would call your dealer and see what they recommend. I would imagine one of these three: UTF, AW32 or AW46. (46 if you're in a warmer climate.)
    ~Fox
    Tractors: JD 2305 w/ MMM & 200CX, NH TN60A w/ 32LA loader, NH Boomer 2420, IH 806 Turbo (Restored, 1964), Farmall Super C (Restored(1952), MF 240S,IH Cub low-boy.

Attachments... too many!

Equipment - JD 317, CAT 262, JD 50ZTS, Cat 301.5, Cat 910, CAT 416C IT w/ EHOE, IH TD7E, IH T6(Restored w/ BE Blade package, 1948 w/ 1952 blade)

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by carmedic310 View Post
    My tractor manual recommends premium hydraulic fluid. My question is what is the difference between this and say a so called tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid from tractor supply?
    The price?

Seriously, I've been looking into hydraulic fluids lately too and there doesn't always seem to be a clear answer. Some people swear by Brand ABC, while other people say that Brand ABC is junk and that you should use Brand XYZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast