Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Couldn't find a dedicated Startron thread on here, so decided to start one.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

I have used Stabil and Seafoam for some time, and like them both. This alcohol problem stands to only get worse, and we need all the tools we can get to deal with the consequences.

I have a Stihl trimmer that mostly gets used infrequently on a remote property. While there recently, I added gas from my dedicated can (50:1, Stihl oil, Hi Test w. no alcohol) and found that the trimmer immediately started to run rougher. Warmed up and revving, it wasn't too bad, but definitely different. Gas was sealed well, but old.

I was in a remote area, under tight time constraints, otherwise I would have taken the time to source fresh fuel/mix.

I had been reading about Startron recently, and decided to grab some as soon as I got back home. Dosed the tank on the trimmer, and my remaining old fuel. Let the gas sit for a couple of hours, and trimmed around the house. Easy starting, nice idle, and great power. For me, I'll always have a can of Startron handy from now on. And I'll make a point of exercising this Stihl a bit more.

One of Startron's strengths seems to be rehabilitating old gas. A friend was just visiting with me, from the Left Coast. He's going home to tell a buddy who occasionally gets drums of expired Av Gas given to him - does not use it for aviation purposes, so Startron could be pretty useful in that free gas for road vehicle application too.

I've found it convenient to access the "Seafoam" thread, hopefully the Startron data can "gell" here too.

(Bad-fuel-pun intended).

Rgds, D.

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron #2  
I had similar results on a Homelite brush cutter. The thing would barely run I added fuel treated with startron and it seem to run perfect the next week when I used it again. I was going to rebuild the carb but it has been a few years it is still going strong.

I had bad results with Stabil turned to an orange gell in the fuel bowl. I had a few other machines that came into the shop with simliar problems. Really tough to remove stuff would not dissolve with gumout spray.

I use the startron for diesel too cleared up my algae problem after the first tank, I had the tractor for 20 years never knew it there was that much gunk in the tank. A few filter changes and the fuel is perfectly clear now except for the red dye of the offroad diesel. I use power service and a few other cleaners over the years but they never attacked the algae.

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron
Interesting point on the Stabil. I had similar bowl deposits in my old, but rarely used generator. I know that it had been run dry every time it had been used over the years.

Thanks for the 411 on the Diesel Startron. My old tractor is in good shape now, as I hit it with some industrial biocide that the NH dealer recommended. I can't say for sure that I had algae when I got it, as the filter bowl seemed pretty clear, but I had "something" floating on the surface of the fuel in the tank. Wanted to deal with that, before anything got out of hand.

The biocide I have works, but I suspect the Startron is less toxic to handle. I'll add that to my shelf, once I draw down the biocide can that I have now. With bio-diesel becoming more common, this purchase may be sooner rather than later.

Rgds, D.

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron #4  
Started using Startron this spring in 2 Stroke and 4 stroke air cooled engines. Was using Stabil but Startron seems to have the edge. Have a 20hp 2 cylinder B&S engine that was difficult to start sometimes. New plugs and air filter,Seafoam and stabil in fuel but just could not get it to start with less than 3 or 4 cranking attempts of maybe 10-15 seconds at a time. 2 tanks of fuel with Startron added and it cranks within 1 turn of flywheel now. Chainsaw and trimmer start easier also. Startron is my only fuel additive I have on the shelf now.

I'm in your neck of the woods Will.

The only place I've found it so far is TSC in Alliston. Barrie story doesn't have it yet.

Rgds, D.

Mjones - good data on what sounds like an already well maintained engine.

Startron does seem like a keeper.

Let's all say a prayer to the Nuts n Bolts gods/demons that the EPA doesn't open a case on Startron.

:rolleyes: Rgds, D.

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron #8  
Last edited:
Of course, I was looking in the Automotive section in Fuel Treatments, at CTC. Silly me :p.

Interesting if it is actually in Sporting Goods. Might be some pressure from the Big Names in Fuel Treatment on CTC to keep it off the main shelves.

Was on sale last week at TSC, something like $5.99.

Rgds, D.

/ Startron, Star Tron, Star-tron #10