ethanol free gas and stabilizer

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #1  

redka

Silver Member
Now that I've found two gas stations in our town that have ethanol free gas, I'll start using it in my small engines.
Would it be a good thing to also put in some Seafoam or Stabil too, or is it just not necessary with the ethanol free gas? Thanks

Thanks to rekees4300 for posting the ethanol free gas stations link.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #2  
I think someone has mentioned that gas doesn't have the shelf life it used to have. So unless you're going to use it pretty quickly, some stabilizer would be less hassle than a stuck valve.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #3  
It wouldn't hurt to use it anyway. I use it or another stabilizer, in the machines that I don't run during the winter plus the generator.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer
Thank you.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #5  
Supposedly ethanol free gasoline with Stabil will last for 6 months or more. I have had left over gas in my lawnmower that still ran ok the following spring. I attempted to use some mixed oil/gas in my chainsaw that was over a year old. It cranked up ok, but wouldnt idle and no power but it enabled me to do a little bit of tree cutting that was needed. I tossed the rest of it though. Ethanol gas with or without stabilizer wont last more than a month or two without started to smell fouled even if it still burns ok. I had some that had turned brown and smelled awful. I decided to burn it off and it smoked to high heaven. Looked like I was burning tires and it was hard to catch fire kinda like kerosene.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #6  
I've been having success with my smuggled ethanol free gas.

My home base is in Alexandria, Virginia.

I have to drive about 800 miles to get it and I just bought another gallon. I'm going to "repackage" it into previously purchased and emptied pre-blended one quart 2-Cycle fuel cans purchased at Lowes. My repackaging will involve mixing it with 2cycle oil which contains a fuel stabilizer and pouring it in the cans.

The cans cost about $6@ at Lowes for a quart. I carefully pour the contents out and run them thru my engines. Then I refill with my fuel mix which costs me about $1.25/quart w/ mix.

I've been able to keep it for two months so far with no problem with my saws and weedeaters. Before they would choke on 2 week old ethanol gas fuel mix.

Oh, the 800 miles is because I drive down to my retirement home in Mississippi where there are two stations nearby. :)

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #7  
Why would you need to smuggle it? It sells at several stations around me. I know the Feds mandated that gasoline have at least 10% ethanol but here the no ethanol is same price (OR LESS) and lasts much longer as you are finding out and I think I get better mileage with it.
I dont run anything but non-ethanol in my small engines and fuel my cars with it anytime I can which mostly means all the time unless I am travelling and then its whatever is cheapest and handiest.
This post reminded me that I need to take out the gas from my old gas powered golf cart that my grandsons used for their 2 week summer visit. Its been in there for a year with stabilizer and still runs ok but its time to put it in my truck to use it up.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #8  
For a listing of locations that sells ethanol free gas in your state by city go here; Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada, Click on your state name and a listing of all locations within that state that sells ethanol free gasoline will be provided.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #9  
Why would you need to smuggle it?
I could not find it anywhere in the Fairfax County Virginia area, not at marinas, not at airports. I would have had to drive about 70 miles one way to a station in Virginia.

The station I go to is on my way to my dentist in Belmont, Mississippi.

In my case today the ethanol laced was $3.86/gal and the non-ethanol was $4/gal.

/ ethanol free gas and stabilizer #10  
Gas sold at any general aviation has no ethanol in their fuel. They might not know if you call and ask them. Most of the fuel sold at general aviation is going to be leaded high test. Another place I check out for non ethanol fuel is pure-gas.org