Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel?

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
In another thread discussing generators-
I had written:
And comments about "diesel going bad" nope, not if kept water and algae free.

And got this response:
<snip>
As far as diesel not going bad, good luck. Keeping moisture out of the fuel is almost impossible to do, and *is* impossible for the homeowner. There's a reason that every single diesel fuel conditioner on the planet has chemicals in it to break down, suspend, and disperse water in the fuel.

From reading on this forum I had been under the impression that if I stored my diesel properly (shaded, atmosphere proof full container) with a fuel additives for water removal and biocides (pick your favorites, I'm not trying to start a Lucas Oil vs XPD war) and then ran it thru a filter when I pump it I would have good fuel. I've left fuel in my E350 tanks and fired it up after two years (and finally replacing the glo-plugs).

Now I'm told it's impossible for me (a homeowner with 1 small tractor and a couple of diesel vehicles) to do.

I'm concerned because all my vehicles seem to be running well (my VW TDI is getting 44.5mpg around town!)

Prior to retirement I worked with a lot of National Guard troops who might fire up their generators once a year, and not empty the tank for a decade. I had always viewed properly stored diesel as lasting for years.

Are there special mixes not available to the homeowner to treat diesel?

What are some long times that you've been able to store diesel?

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #2  
Who is telling you that it's impossible for a homeowner to store diesel long term? What proof do they offer?

I have stored diesel for many years with no problems. Biocide is the only thing I have ever used.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel?
Who is telling you that it's impossible for a homeowner to store diesel long term? What proof do they offer?

I have stored diesel for many years with no problems. Biocide is the only thing I have ever used.
Click on the link in my post.

We obviously have been doing it wrong and didn't know it was impossible.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #4  
Click on the link in my post.

We obviously have been doing it wrong and didn't know it was impossible.

No links showing up for me. Anyone else?

No links showing up for me. Anyone else?
Do you see the big quote marks and the words Originally Posted by meburdick ?

That's the link I was referring to.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #6  
Have you thought about using mr funnel and a racor filter? This will allow you to filter out water when you pour in and while you are using it. I cant say I had the longest storage but I had a 5 gallon jug of diesel, untreated sitting in garage near the door getting morning sun and cooling in evening for almost 3 months a couple times. I treat when I pour in my tractor.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #7  
Do you see the big quote marks and the words Originally Posted by meburdick ?

That's the link I was referring to.

see that but no link?

see that but no link?
quote.jpg
Can you see the little arrows after my name?
I circled them in red.

Attachments

• quote.jpg
    quote.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 164
   / Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #9  
Storing the fuel inside and avoiding huge temperature swings will reduce the need for the tank to breathe. If you store it in a steel container and see moisture on the outside of the (can / tank) moisture can get in if openings are not closed or restricted.
Small sealed cans stored in a cool temperature stable location will keep diesel fresh indefinitely with no additives.
Additives are additional insurance.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #10  
I have 300 gallons of diesel in a 550 gallon above ground tank. It's 12 years old and still works fine in my diesel generator and oil furnace. I control the air flow in and out of the tank with two small check valves. One relieves pressure at 2 psi, the other relieves vacuum at 1/2 psi. The air going into the tank goes through a canister of dissicant to remove moisture. I added a quart of treatment several years ago. I live in the Pacific Northwest where we have plenty of moisture and wide temp swings.