Diesel fuel additives

/ Diesel fuel additives #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
A diesel tech at work says I need to be using an additve, as the road siesel doesn't have the proper lubricants for the fuel pump. Is that right? Does bulk farm use fuel have it? What additives are ok? I found Power Service and Rotella at the local supplier (WallySomething)

/ Diesel fuel additives #2  
Hi Mike, I have a 20 old diesel engine that the Kubota dealer recommended using an additive if I burned road fuel as the engine was not designed for low sulphur road fuel and the pump may suffer. For my new tractor I've heard different opinions.

I burn off road fuel which has a higher sulphur content but still use the Power Service additive. My opinion is that the additive is not going to hurt anything and it may keep the fuel from gelling in the winter.

Dave...

/ Diesel fuel additives #3  
No, road and off road diesel do not have any special additive packages other than to meet minimum fuel quality specs. and requirements. Have not used Rotella DFA yet, Power Service is OK & and will raise cetane 6 points when mixed to directions. I have been using a combination of John Deere Summer Formula & Howes Diesel Treat in my truck and tractor. Depending on how much you use or ability to split a 5 gallon container with someone here is a link to Amalgamated. They make a VERY good DFA that max's out in all areas. $95 delivered to your door or you can go to Ft. Wayne, IN and pick it up for $40. I have not personally tried it yet but have read many positive review about it on turbodieselregister.com .

Amalgamated Inc. DFA Products

It is very important to use a good quality diesel fuel additive as it covers several functions:

improves cetane
adds detergent to clean system
stabilizes fuel (great for stored fuel and equip. that sits alot)
adds lubricity to fuel to lubricate inj. pump, injectors, lift pump
rust & corrosion protection
lowers gel/cloud pt. of fuel for cold weather use
prevents ice formation and soluablizes water to pass through system (not a good thing but better than raw water going throught)

/ Diesel fuel additives #4  
I know next to nothing about the chemistry, but I, and my real farmer neighbors, always used the Power Service additive.

/ Diesel fuel additives #5  
I would think that a newer tractor like the 4310 would have a pump designed for todays fuels on or off road.

I posted this on another thread but will repeat it here. Your off road fuel may or may not have a higher sulpher content than what you buy at the pump for on road. You would have to ask your distributer each time your ready to buy off road fuel.

My distributer explained to me that they try to get the higher sulpher fuel first and its slightly less expensive. If its not available they get the other(same as on road with dye).

With that said, why would the mech make that statement?
Surely a reputable company like JD is not installing inferior fuel pumps /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

/ Diesel fuel additives #6  
I'd use Powerservice, lucas and rotella DFA, Howes or stabadyne..

But I don't think you need to run fuel additives. Years of testing show most fuel is tested and meets most specs.

I've worked on PSD and a ton of VE powered VW's and never seen a lube related pump failure close to 20 years now.. maybe i'm lucky? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Diesel fuel additives #7  
I think CTyler is right about your 4310. I use Stanadynes diesel additive, but it's purely as a insurance practice more then need. I purchased a 12 pack from Diamond Diesel. Half the bottle mixes with 30 gallons. Stanadyne makes all kinds of diesel products. I notice no difference in performance, smoke (there is none either way) sound level, or smell, just a tiny little peace of mind that maybe something good is happening as the many product manufactuers would have us believe. I personnally don't feel it necessary as even my 1973 International could care less if its in there and here in California, low sulphur diesel has been around for quite some time. Be it off road or on road, it all comes from the same tank out here, one just gets a red dye, the other just gets more tax. Rat...

/ Diesel fuel additives #8  
I used to own a couple diesels and ran PS yr round. In the summer PS was supposed to keep the injectors clean and goop from growing in the tank. In the winter it boosted the centane rating and also kept the fuel from waxing (wax separating at very low temps). I think there were a couple other advantages too...which I cant remember right now. I plan to use it in my tractor as well. jimg

/ Diesel fuel additives #9  
My salesman told me that I needed to use an additive because todays diesel fuel contains low sulfur and it's not good for the engine. My tractor manual says <font color="purple"> "Sulfur content should be no more than 0.5%" </font> There is a gas station about 1/4 mile from me that has road and off road diesel. On the off road diesel pump it states <font color="red"> "High Sulfur" "for off road use only". </font> I don't know whether to believe this or not. After doing a search I found that the current requirement for sulfur is 500 ppm in road diesel. I guess I'll buy regular road diesel and use the additive. Looks to me like engine mfg's are making the engines to run normal diesel without the additive but as someone said before it may be good insurance.