FUELING FRUSTRATION

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #22  
I have a 28 HP tractor and a 300 gallon gravity tank. I bought it off CL for $50 and put a new filter and hose setup on it.

Chris

nice deal!

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #23  
I have NEVER fueled my JD 4210 with the hood down...and since I only use it 100 hours a year, 5 gallon cans of diesel work well for me. I made a fueling aid from a plastic tray with wood blocks screwed underneath it to make it level when I place it over the engine compartment. Set the can atop the tray, open the spout and vent, cover the spout hole with a finger and tip the can forward into the filler neck. Almost no spillage at all as it empties, and you don't have to hold onto it. The wood blocks can be added under the can as it empties.

Just make sure your tank will hold the contents without overfilling !!!

Attachments

• 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 141
   / FUELING FRUSTRATION #24  
I used to have a 12 volt fuel pump from an old Volvo I picked up for parts. Added a long lead with alligator clips. Worked great and wish I still had it. You might checkout a salvage yard.

Because I don't need to refuel all that often given my use I just top it off at the end of a day I've decided the 670 needs a bath. I refuel fro the 5 gallon container, power wash it, then do a pre flight for the next project and park it.

Good luck
RoN

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION
Thanks to all for your suggestions and describing your own fuel transfer systems! This is a great site for tractor owners!

It looks like the most convenient approach for me is going to be to get a tank or barrel in the 15 - 55 gallon range with a hand or electric pump. A hand pump is probably enough from the perspective that I only need to pump a few gallons at each fill-up. The loosy-goosy part is that it can be hard at times to hold a nozzle in one hand without spilling while pumping with the other. An electric pump with a conventional trigger nozzle makes that problem go away, but the cost is higher, and it's even more money to get a 120VAC pump. Regardless, this appears to be the most problem free, drip free path and I'm going back to investigating what's available in the area.

I've looked at Northern Equipment, but have heard conflicting comments about the quality of their products. Can anyone share their good or bad experiences with this company? Are there any other suppliers of fuel tanks/pumps I can consider?

Thanks again, guys, for all your help!

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #26  
northern is basically selling same stuff harbor freight sells.. just fooling people into thinking it's better due to store name recognition.

that said.. plenty of good chinese tools out there.. just got to pick and choose.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #27  
Soundguy said:
northern is basically selling same stuff harbor freight sells.. just fooling people into thinking it's better due to store name recognition.

that said.. plenty of good chinese tools out there.. just got to pick and choose.

Not to mention northern's higher prices for the same stuff. Conversely, our local tractor supply sells kawasaki tools for the same price as harbor freight and they are prettier!

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #28  
ditto on both counts.
we needed a sawsall real quick for a dirty job.. i was gonna head to the next city up to get a hf unit.. called Tractor supply.. had that KS unit for within pennies of same price... go figure...

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #29  
Thanks to all for your suggestions and ............ The loosy-goosy part is that it can be hard at times to hold a nozzle in one hand without spilling while pumping with the other. ..........
Thanks again, guys, for all your help!

Cttractor
You look for an inexpensive fuel cap that you can drill out and slip over the nozzle and secure (duct tape, epoxy, bailing wire) that way the fuel delivery end is secure and you have two hands free. If it is air tight you may need to also provide a vent hole in the cap.
RoN

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #30  
Thanks to all for your suggestions and describing your own fuel transfer systems! This is a great site for tractor owners!
1*It looks like the most convenient approach for me is going to be to get a tank or barrel in the 15 - 55 gallon range with a hand or electric pump.
2* A hand pump is probably enough from the perspective that I only need to pump a few gallons at each fill-up.
3* The loosy-goosy part is that it can be hard at times to hold a nozzle in one hand without spilling while pumping with the other.
4* An electric pump with a conventional trigger nozzle makes that problem go away,
5*but the cost is higher, and it's even more money to get a 120VAC pump.
6*Regardless, this appears to be the most problem free, drip free path and I'm going back to investigating what's available in the area.
7*I've looked at Northern Equipment, but have heard conflicting comments about the quality of their products.
8* Can anyone share their good or bad experiences with this company?
1*It is.

photos028.jpg

photos030-1.jpg

2*I would not like to hand pump this drum empty.
Would hate to think about doing it with 3 or 4 of them.
3*It's hard to be in 2 places at the same time.
4*But it's well worth it and it's the only way to fly.
5*You don't want a 120 v pump because you will be glad you have a 12v when the power goes out.
When our power was out back in june I had 3 truck and 3 tractor batteries to fall back on to power the pump.
6*Build your own rig using drums is the only way to fly.
7*My Northern tool pump has operated flawless with out a hint of trouble for 4 years now.
photos043.jpg

8*This is the best priced electric pump i'v run onto .