FUELING FRUSTRATION

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #1  

cttractor

Silver Member
I'm not sure why Deere and other manufactures put a tractor's fuel cap on the engine hood, but they do and I'm having problems with spilling when refueling my 2000 series tractor. First, there's the fact that I have to step up onto the operator's platform with a full 5-gallon container and bend over cantilevered over the hood with it while filling (it causes the arms to ache after a few minutes). Then, any spill goes all over the hood and onto equipment below, such as the mower -- it can be a real mess.

So, I'm looking for a better refueling approach. A standard fuel nozzle with a 120 VAC pump on a 15 or 20 gallon or so tank would be ideal. Even then, I'll have to buy and transport diesel in a couple of 5-gallon cans to fill the tank. This small a machine doesn't justify a pickup-up body tank, so there's no easier way to get the 15 or 20 gallon tank refilled.

I've tried to find a solution looking in catalogs like Northern Tools and such and they seem to primarily have gravity-fed siphon tanks and 12VDC pump systems -- I want to just plug the system into a 120VAC receptacle in the wall of my garage. I have to believe that other members also have to deal with these refueling hassles. What solutions have you guys come up with to deal with this mess? Any useful feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA!

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #2  
I'm in the same boat with a 3720. It is hard to fill unless you are built like **** brick house. I just painted a 100 gallon tank yesterday and plan on forking that onto the truck and when filled fork it onto a platform 7 feet up. Then gravity fill. I don't know if it will work, but I will have a nice shiny new John Deere yellow tank.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #3  
I have a JD 4720 and use one of those small folding bench ladder stools...I don't know what you call them...it's about 3' high, has fold out legs and it's like a small bench...i'm 5'2" it gives me the standing hight over the filling opening. I can use 5 gallon cans with not much problem.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #4  
Do you have a FEL? If so, I first put the 5 gallon can on the operator platform, then I get up there and lift the can to rest on the FEL support. On the 4700, I can pour the fuel without having to lift the can. Without the FEL, it would be a PITA.

Later,
Dan

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION
I appreciate the comments! Unfortunately, I've been trying similar approaches myself and they all seem to be a different PITA workaround when refueling should actually be a lot easier. And yes, I do have an FEL and your suggestion is better than climbing onto the operator platform. That is, unless the FEL is off and the mid-mount mower is the primary attachment in use, such as during much of the summer.

Has anyone other than me decided that their preferred approach is to fill the tractor's tank just as if he'd driven the tractor up to the diesel pump at a service station? I guess I should have been clearer in stating that this is the approach I've decided to pursue.

I have noticed that I could do it more cheaply by getting a pickup body tank that operates on 12VDC, but I prefer to not get some 12V power supply to or extra batteries and charger just to power the pump and a tank that sits low on the floor. There must be some such setup with a 15-20 gallon or similarly sized tank that has a nozzle and is powered by an ample capacity 120VAC driven pump. Is no one doing this?

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #6  
I built both of these systems.
Either one of them is a perfect solution for you .

The great thing about them is there is no lifting carrying or handling of heavy drums of fuel as the system fills it's self.

100_2582.jpg

100_2300.jpg

I'm not sure why Deere and other manufactures put a tractor's fuel cap on the engine hood, but they do and I'm having problems with spilling when refueling my 2000 series tractor. First, there's the fact that I have to step up onto the operator's platform with a full 5-gallon container and bend over cantilevered over the hood with it while filling (it causes the arms to ache after a few minutes). Then, any spill goes all over the hood and onto equipment below, such as the mower -- it can be a real mess.

So, I'm looking for a better refueling approach. A standard fuel nozzle with a 120 VAC pump on a 15 or 20 gallon or so tank would be ideal. Even then, I'll have to buy and transport diesel in a couple of 5-gallon cans to fill the tank. This small a machine doesn't justify a pickup-up body tank, so there's no easier way to get the 15 or 20 gallon tank refilled.

I've tried to find a solution looking in catalogs like Northern Tools and such and they seem to primarily have gravity-fed siphon tanks and 12VDC pump systems -- I want to just plug the system into a 120VAC receptacle in the wall of my garage. I have to believe that other members also have to deal with these refueling hassles. What solutions have you guys come up with to deal with this mess? Any useful feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA!

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #7  
I bought 3 overhead tanks on stilts with gravity fed hose/nozzle. Fill up when prices are down.
One for red diesel
one for on road diesel
one for unleaded gasoline

Pickup has 100 gallon in bed diesel tank with 12V pump. It stays in back of pickup.
Also have 150 gallon tank which fits in back of pickup for unleaded, with 12v pump. I lift it in and out (only when empty) of the pickup

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #8  
I'm not sure why Deere and other manufactures put a tractor's fuel cap on the engine hood,

I assume that is for a gravity fed fuel system on the tractor, it has to be higher than the fuel intake on the tractor.

For smaller tractors, I used a 55 gallon plastic drum with a hand pump. That worked well until I started getting equipment with 25 gallon tanks.

Ken

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION
I built both of these systems.
Either one of them is a perfect solution for you .

The great thing about them is there is no lifting carrying or handling of heavy drums of fuel as the system fills it's self.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Texasjohn, I agree that filling your overhead tanks from your pickup tank is the way to go. At this point, I just don't have a need for a pickup body tank except for this purpose and it seems like overkill to get one just to fill a drum or such for my 24HP tractor. I've thought about just getting the pickup tank and filling my tractor from that, but it seems like a lot of extra weight to carry regularly for the small amount of diesel that I use. The real problem is that I'm in between needing a real system, such as for a farm or construction equipment, but having trouble living with 5 gallon cans because of the placement of the tractor's fill pipe.

LBrown59, please tell some more about your installation. It's not clear to me from your photos that you have two individual systems. But, it looks as if you are using a 12VDC pump powered by a large charger which pulls from two drums. I can see how that is used to fill your tractor(s). How do you get the drums filled in the first place?

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #10  
I'm not sure why Deere and other manufactures put a tractor's fuel cap on the engine hood, but they do and I'm having problems with spilling when refueling my 2000 series tractor. First, there's the fact that I have to step up onto the operator's platform with a full 5-gallon container and bend over cantilevered over the hood with it while filling (it causes the arms to ache after a few minutes). Then, any spill goes all over the hood and onto equipment below, TIA!

that just keeps the hood from rusting!

i hear ya. when refueling my NH7610S it takes about 5 yellow jugs. UGH.

a rotary bbl pump comes in handy!