White material in fuel?

/ White material in fuel? #1  

dwhite

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900s, B-7610, L-5240
My L5240 sputtered out while raking hay. It had a white material (like cotton) in the filter, the fuel supply line and the tank nipple. A stick pushed the material out of the nipple and fuel runs fine now. The tank will be removed and flushed tomorrow. Any ideas what this is? It looks and feels like cotton. It is too tough to be fungus or spider web. The bulk storage tank filter looks clean. The B7500 has not had any issues on the same fuel. I bought the L5240 used at about 480 hr and have put over 100 hr on it without any problems. Thanks,

/ White material in fuel?
No, it is fibrous; not oily, waxy, or flaky. I'm convinced it's cotton. I'll post the results once the tank is cleaned.

/ White material in fuel? #4  
Perhaps some mischievous kid tampered with your fuel tank?

/ White material in fuel? #5  

Attachments

• Top Gear Bolivia Special 1[3].jpg
    Top Gear Bolivia Special 1[3].jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 98
   / White material in fuel? #6  
IF they used teflon tape to seal the threads, it could be that. I just helped with a similar problem and the teflon tape had come apart and was blocking the gascolator tube. I used gas proof pipe dope to reseal the threads.

/ White material in fuel? #7  
that was gonna be my guess.. an overuse of teflon tape and some shreds.

next guess is one of those water absorbant pads made out of the white PE type material.. doesn't absorb petro chemicals.. but will soak up water..

/ White material in fuel?
Sorry for the delay in diagnosis. It appears to have been silk worms. They must have nested in the spout of the filler nozzle and I just pumped them into my tractor tank. I now keep a rag stuffed into the nozzle.