Removing ethanol from gasoline

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #41  
Thanks,but nothing even close to me.What gets me,is that they have to mix the ethanol in just before they deliver to the stations,so there is Real gas everywhere but they won't sell it.I would pay twice as much for some real gas!

No need, it is only about 40-45 cents more and is 90+ octane. I run it in my ecoboost when I tow. Too bad they don't make a 87 octane version too.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #42  
The higher octane number the slower the gasoline burns. If you used high octane gas in old (pre-electronic) engines designed for lower octane gas you would burn the exhaust valves. New engines have sensors that adjust the advance for various gasoline so there is less danger to do so.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #43  
Personal experience only... Since the ethanol gas was mandated, ALL of my small engine gas lines have crumbled. This includes the 18 year old weed wacker and the 3 year old weed wacker. Both the same brand. I'll assume using the same materials for the hose.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #44  
Like a couple others here, I'm not swallowing the scare stories. E10 has been the norm here for more than a decade. Have about 10 different engines in various pieces of equipment. Never have had an issue. Never drain fuel over the winter, just use a little Sta-bil. Engines start normally the following season. If you're having issues, I'd look elsewhere. But that's just me.

Change of topics. Don't confuse octane with energy contend, they are NOT related. Ethanol has higher octane and lower energy content than straight gasoline. E10 has approx 3.5% less energy than straight gasoline. All else being equal, I find it hard to believe one can tell accurately and repeatedly reduced fuel mileage via seat of the pants "testing". There is more variability in driving conditions that is as equal as the 3.5% reduction in energy content.

YMMV.
Not to mention that compression ratios have gone up to compensate. Ethanol lowers power 3.5%, a bump in compression by 1 raises it back by 3.5% to 4%.. its a wash.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #45  
I've been maintaining and repairing engines as a hobby for almost 40 years. E10 has been around for 22 years and it's the only fuel for the past 10 or so years. I've seen no evidence of E10 problems or any increased rate of failure. The brigs in my Bolens and the one in my little Viking snow blower are from the lead fuel days of the 70s. I have not touched the carbs in 20 years of E10 use and I have never drained fuel from either. I have never used stabil. All in all, I just can't imagine how our engines and fuel could be so much better than yours.

Every single time I broke down and tried Stabil, I screwed up the carb. I find its crap. I just leave the gas tanks near full and let them sit. Start up first time every time, even after sitting all winter.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #46  
Ethanol I have been told is very bad for the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel systems on small engines like mowers. The 10% ethanol gas that I have been using in my truck for about 100,000 miles has not caused any problems.

That use to be, but once ethanol came in gas OEMs started changing to alcohol compatible parts.. Been 20+ years now for most OEMs.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #47  
The 70's are long past sir. Starting in the late 80's when computers and feed back from O2 sensors plus lockup torque converters were used. The mileage of a current 300+HP 4x4 pickup is in the mid teens. In the 60's and 70's a 4x4 pickup did well to make half the mileage or HP.
While not 300hp, my '85 carb'd, non-computer, non-lockup D250 gets 13.5mpg..

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #48  
I wonder if its a location issue? I have pulled more water out of tanks and carb bowls then you could imagine. The climate in my area is from -20 to 110. Fuel lines if not silicone will break down internally like a eraser debris on paper.

Chris

In Indiana too and dont have that problem. I leave the gas in all season and off season. No probs yet.. Now, cheap @zz 'lawn mower' batteries on the other hand :rolleyes:

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #49  
Well, I have a 1996 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. Since we have been forced to use ethanol
laced gas, the carbs must be rebuilt each spring. Even after draining fuel from the tank and
the carbs. $800 every spring!:eek: The "rubber" parts dissolve. Echo pole chainsaw, gas lines
and pump totally rotted away. Husqvarna lawn mower, new carb last year, mower only 3 years old.

You won't ever convince me that ethanol fuel doesn't damage carbs. By the way, I worked as an International
Harvester mechanic all through college. So I have more than a little experience with engines and fuel
systems.

Bill
You are getting the wrong rubber parts.. Alcohol compatible parts have been around forever.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #50  
I've heard of guy's buying aviation gas at the local (little) airstrip for their saws and other small sngines, been told that it's expensive, high octane and no corn in it, but local.

MoGas for planes is usually just alcohol free (E0) regular unleaded @ 87 octane, though there are some 91 octanes out there. If they are getting the 100LL, thats leaded gas.