Removing ethanol from gasoline

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I have a friend that built a rig to remove the 10% ethanol from gas by adding water. He does 5 gal at a time. Adds 2 qts water and then drains off 1 gal water/ethanol. He uses the straight gas in his outboard, chainsaw, mower, etc. We went fishing yesterday and the outboard ran great.
My question is what happens to the octane level of the fuel when he does that. If he starts with 87 octane does it go up or down when the ethanol is removed ?? Just curious.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #2  
I believe it goes down. eth displaces some nasty chemicals used to boost octane.
For what it's worth I've run eth in my 2 stokes since around y2k. 2 snowmobiles (1990), 2 outboards (as old as 1966), chainsaw and weed whacker. Primer bulb in the weed whacker cracked, but it was 20 years old at the time.
I've run eth in my four strokes since around 1990. No problems.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #3  
Tig you are very lucky or you use it fast enough for it not to go bad. We are fortunate enough that the non-ethanol is coming back into the area and many are noticing good savings in their weekly fuel bills from better mileage as well as no aggrivation from failing parts in the fuel system.
Seems like it is simulair to the early 70's when they started putting all the crap under the hoods of cars to cut emmissions and cut the fuel mileage in half on most cars trying to clean up the air. Did they count on more fuel being burned when they mandated the rules, probably not just another government blunder!

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #4  
I've heard bad stories, but my experience has been good. On the first tank that I ran in my 1990 Corsica it back fired on acceleration, but as it turned out I had a bad spark plug wire. Changed out the wire and all was well again.
I do remove left over fuel from my two strokes, season to season. Boat gas gets dumped in the sleds. Snowmobile fuel gets siphoned off and used for the lawnmower. But I've been doing that since before I ever heard of eth. Fuel isn't made for long term storage.
I did a lot of reading on phase separation in eth fuels. My thoughts are, even though we are in a very humid area I'm not concerned. It's not plausible for it to occur in a closed container, even if it is vented. Rain on the other hand could ruin fuel.
On the up side, I have not had a frozen gas line since I started using eth. It can handle way more moisture than non eth gas.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #5  
To each his own. I stopped using ethanol gas in my lawnmowers when pure gasoline became available here. It stores well for several months and doesnt foul the carbs or eat up the lines.
I had to have the carb rebuilt twice in a month on my pressure washer when using ETH. No problems since swapping. The shop manager told me that with the ethanol fuels now, it only takes a month for them to foul the carbs if fuel is left in. I now run everything dry except lawnmower. On that I try to run it down low or I just pump out all the stale fuel (fuel treated with generous amount of Stabil) and replace with fresh every spring. The Stabil does keep it fresher for longer. One year I left full tank and forgot to put in the Stabil. The next spring the engine wouldnt fire at all. I took off the tank, drained it and put in fresh fuel and it fired right up. I was lucky on that and first thing I do now is treat the fuel even though I buy nothing but non-ethanol for my small engines. Cars dont seem to have an issue with it.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #6  
Does anyone know where to buy non ethenol near Fredericksburg, Culpeper, Warrenton Va? I have looked at a national list but the 2 within 45 minutes from me do not really exist.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #7  
Don't the gas stations near you carry premium gas with no ethanol? Here in WI almost all the premium sold is no eth however there are very few stations which sell no eth regular and the ones that do charge more for it now.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #8  
Ethanol is junk and thank God I don't have to buy it around here or support the welfare it creates.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #10  
This is anouther one of the scare tactics BS, I have a cheap leaf blower that had fuel in it for 5 years and it started first pull, I admit I was amazed. I have never had a problem with ethanol in fuel or seen a cab that was damaged and I work on lots of equipment.
I am old enough to remember the BS that was spread, when they took out the lead in fuel, every engine was suppose to need a valve job, 100% BS
Ethanol in fuel is a detergent so if you fuel system is dirt, it will clean it out and your filters will get dirty.
When they removed the sulphur in diesel ethanol is the best lubricant, better that any aditive pacage, you can buy.