No Oil pressure in my '49 8N

/ No Oil pressure in my '49 8N #1  

cfb

Bronze Member
Tractor
1949 Ford 8N, Ingersoll 448, Ford 16HP Diesel
hello again,
its been a few months but now I'm ready to get started. I removed both ends of the tube going up to the oil pressure gauge and no oil. I was getting pressure two years ago, and then it sat for a year and now just getting around to dealing with it.
The suggestion that came back here which I want to try now was to remove a plug in front of the engine and let some oil flow down to the pump to prime it.
I can't see this plug, so do I have to remove the hood and grill and/or anything esle to get at the this plug? Fuel tank too perhaps - sorry, maybe they are even connected.

Outside of changing plugs and the ignition switch, this is my first really repair job and don't want to blow it.
thanks, cfb

/ No Oil pressure in my '49 8N #2  
You may have more help in the Ford vintage tractor or ford tractor section.

But "Soundguy" frequents this forum too so i know you will get some help soon. He is the resident ford guy, he owns a gazillion of the things!!

/ No Oil pressure in my '49 8N #3  
the oil relief plunger lives under a big 15/16 or so plug at the front of the engine.. it's the OLY big plug up there.. pull it.. it has a spring and plunger the size of a finger.. if the spring is broke.. that could be an issue you see.. however it likely is simple loss of prime.

pull that plug and plunger and spring, and shoot it full of some gear oil.. as much as it will take.. at least a few ounces.. slap the plug back in and start cranking her over..

post back.

/ No Oil pressure in my '49 8N
thanks Soundguy.
as a follow up:
1) do I have to remove the hood and/or anything else to get to the plug
2) even if I don't, I'll be removing it anyway when ready to start the restoration process. Can I remove the hood and leave the gas tank in place? It looks like they are connected.
3) after I get the gear oil in and start cranking, is there any worry about the engine freezing up if crank too long with no start?
thanks, cfb

/ No Oil pressure in my '49 8N #5  
1, no you don't have to remove the hood

2, remove hood and leave tank? not without tearing them apart! you could hookup a small lawnmower tank. most of us old iron mongers keep a 1qt tank with runner line and fitting for hooking to old machines to move them or test them with tanks off.

3, freeze up from cranking? ideally you will START it and see oil pressure come up. if no oil pressure in say.. 10 seconds MAX i'd kill her.