Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #2  
This is too bad. While the Blitz products I have tried have been very poor in quality, virtually unusable, and expensive, on a personal level I wish market forces would drive companies out of existence rather than lawsuits due to what can only be called operator error.

In my opinion, a company should not be held responsible for misuse of their product or user foolishness. Pouring gasoline onto a fire is unsafe, and not the company's fault. I have no problem holding companies accountable to high standards when it comes to manufacturing poor quality or unsafe products. But someone getting hurt after using an otherwise safe product in an unsafe manner shouldn't result in the responsibility being lain at the feet of the manufacturer. If a student in my classroom throws a pencil to a classmate and hits her in the eye, it is not Panasonic as the pencil sharpener manufacturer or Ticonderoga as the pencil maker who did anything wrong, nor should they have to pay anything.

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #3  
284 International said:
This is too bad. While the Blitz products I have tried have been very poor in quality, virtually unusable, and expensive, on a personal level I wish market forces would drive companies out of existence rather than lawsuits due to what can only be called operator error.

In my opinion, a company should not be held responsible for misuse of their product or user foolishness. Pouring gasoline onto a fire is unsafe, and not the company's fault. I have no problem holding companies accountable to high standards when it comes to manufacturing poor quality or unsafe products. But someone getting hurt after using an otherwise safe product in an unsafe manner shouldn't result in the responsibility being lain at the feet of the manufacturer. If a student in my classroom throws a pencil to a classmate and hits her in the eye, it is not Panasonic as the pencil sharpener manufacturer or Ticonderoga as the pencil maker who did anything wrong, nor should they have to pay anything.

+1. Well said.

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #4  
The company that bought them will not last either. The only companies that can are Chinese companies that are insulated from suits. The importer will get sued but they will have no real assets to get so they can just fold and a new importer take over. The only other option will be the metal cans that cost 5 times as much.

The sad fact is every one of these accidents happened because the person interacting with the fuel can didn't follow directions. If it wasn't a flame that set off the fire it was a spark. The only other way fuel can ignite is by reaching it's autoignition temperature. Anyone dumping fuel onto a fire with a gas can is an idiot. That's the same person the sticker on a lawn mover warning them not to put their hands inside the moving deck while it's running wasn't good enough and we now have mowers that shut off once they let go of the handle or get off the seat.

A flame arrestor sounds simple but where do you put it? In the nozzle that will be removed when filling? In the can where it can be in place while filling but now the flame can also get into the can? So how much research do you put into trying to find the best location for it? What if you are forced to compromise and the stupid people find a way you never thought of?

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #5  
And here we have the idiot of the year:
In the one case Blitz lost, in 2010, a Utah jury awarded more than $4 million to the father of a 2-year-old girl killed when a Blitz can exploded after the father, David Calder, tried to start a fire in a wood-burning stove in his trailer home by pouring gasoline on the flame.
Just how stupid do you have to be to even try something like this? I wouldn't charge this idiot with manslaughter but I would sure think long and hard about it if I was a prosecutor.

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #6  
What BS. I do not like the gas cans today but if used properly there should be no issues. This is nothing more than ambulance chasing attorneys and stupid people misusing the product. I mean starting a fire in your mobile home using gasoline???? Cant fix stupid!

Chris

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #7  
What BS. I do not like the gas cans today but if used properly there should be no issues. This is nothing more than ambulance chasing attorneys and stupid people misusing the product. I mean starting a fire in your mobile home using gasoline???? Cant fix stupid!

Chris

Just bringing the gas can inside the mobile home was risky. Let along "uncorking" it near a fire, and then trying to pour gas on a flame? Holy cow.. as Bugs would say "what a maroon". And the little child paid for it with her life, and Blitz paid for it with the annihilation of the company and all the jobs that were lost. All because a guy does not have sense enough to pour p!ss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

James K0UA

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #8  
If there was a flame arrestor in the can I would probably be the first one to rip it out so I could fill tanks faster. I already gave up on hoisting the cans up on my shoulder and trying to hook the stupid push type safety nozzle on the lip of my tractors fuel tank and standing there for 15min while it trickles out. I just take the spout off and dump it in a big funnel in 20 seconds. How much is a gas can going to cost and how non-user friendly will it be if they have to add a bunch of safety equipment to it because of these lawyers? There is inherent danger with the use of any flammable liquid regardless of container type.

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #9  
If there was a flame arrestor in the can I would probably be the first one to rip it out so I could fill tanks faster. I already gave up on hoisting the cans up on my shoulder and trying to hook the stupid push type safety nozzle on the lip of my tractors fuel tank and standing there for 15min while it trickles out. I just take the spout off and dump it in a big funnel in 20 seconds. How much is a gas can going to cost and how non-user friendly will it be if they have to add a bunch of safety equipment to it because of these lawyers? There is inherent danger with the use of any flammable liquid regardless of container type.
Ayep. The stupid cans are one reason we bought a diesel storage tank and now store our diesel in it. Slightly harder to drive to where it is, but no messing around with @#$%^& cans.

Aaron Z

/ Blitz USA is no more thanks to lawyers #10  
Just bringing the gas can inside the mobile home was risky. Let along "uncorking" it near a fire, and then trying to pour gas on a flame? Holy cow.. as Bugs would say "what a maroon". And the little child paid for it with her life, and Blitz paid for it with the annihilation of the company and all the jobs that were lost. All because a guy does not have sense enough to pour p!ss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

James K0UA
Well stated. Although some lawsuits have merit, there are countless others that are frivolous. I found this on the Web. The 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of All Time