Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default Re: Fuel Oil Tank Configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Yea, you need a much bigger filter and have it mounted up by tank. Mine has a drain on the bottom to remove water and debris.

Chris
    Does your filter have a clear type bowl? and is your system a gravity system? I don't want to get another wrong filter that will not work in a gravity system. Thanks
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude

Does your filter have a clear type bowl? and is your system a gravity system? I don't want to get another wrong filter that will not work in a gravity system. Thanks
    No, its a metal spin on filter. Got it and the head at Rural King for $20. Replacement filters are $8 or so. I change it every 3 years or about 1000 gallons.

Yes, its gravity. Its 300 gallons and sits 9' up. I bet it flows 5 gallons a minute. My 10' hose is 3/4"id with the filter base and all fittings 3/4" also. It will fill my 6 gallon tractor tank in under a minute from 1/4 tank or so, which is about 4 to 5 gallons.

Chris

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

No, its a metal spin on filter. Got it and the head at Rural King for $20. Replacement filters are $8 or so. I change it every 3 years or about 1000 gallons.

Yes, its gravity. Its 300 gallons and sits 9' up. I bet it flows 5 gallons a minute. My 10' hose is 3/4"id with the filter base and all fittings 3/4" also. It will fill my 6 gallon tractor tank in under a minute from 1/4 tank or so, which is about 4 to 5 gallons.

Chris
    I changed the filter to a spin on canister toward the end of the hose. I don't really like it there, but the filter won't let any fuel pass through if it is at the tank outlet, but it will at the and of the hose. Go figure. Maybe not enough head pressure in the tank to get it moving down the hose, I don't know. But it seems to work now and it is not that difficult to use this way, but it is not ideal.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

I have one of these: Dutton-Lainson® Goldenrod® 596 Water-Block Spin-On Fuel Filter - 0189579 | Tractor Supply Company but if I had to replace it, I might go for one like this: Dutton-Lainson® Goldenrod® 496 Water-Block Absorbing Fuel Filter - 0189529 | Tractor Supply Company
    Either should flow significantly more than your filter.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude

I changed the filter to a spin on canister toward the end of the hose. I don't really like it there, but the filter won't let any fuel pass through if it is at the tank outlet, but it will at the and of the hose. Go figure. Maybe not enough head pressure in the tank to get it moving down the hose, I don't know. But it seems to work now and it is not that difficult to use this way, but it is not ideal.
    I got one of those pumps from harbor freight that uses air pressure for 30 or 55 drums. It only takes 8 psi for it to work and you can leave the drum standing.

Based on that pump, you might considering pressurizing the tank and then you shouldn't have a flow issue.

Just a thought based on your setip
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Tractor

I do not understand why you can not get any flow? Is your tank well vented? Mine has a vent with screen over it to keep critters out. My tank was originally only 5 feet up and it never had a issue flowing.

Chris

Tractor

I do not understand why you can not get any flow? Is your tank well vented? Mine has a vent with screen over it to keep critters out. My tank was originally only 5 feet up and it never had a issue flowing.

Chris

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Chris
    I put that Goldenrod 595 spin on filter (the number going from memory) and it has enough flow for my needs comfortably. I had the clear glass filter in my hand but chose this one because I thought it could take a beating a little more than the see through one.

The bottom of the 100 gallon tank is 6' off the ground, well vented with about 25 gallons of fuel in it. This tank I cleaned out and flushed with water and then fried and put some diesel in it and sloshed it around and then dumped that.

I originally mounted that same filter right out of the hole in the lower end of the tank after a 1" elbow and valve. Then was a reducer and 3/4" st. elbow to a 3/4 gas hose to an automatic shut off nozzle (which I returned) and put just a ball valve on. I couldn't even get anything to the nozzle. I had the nozzle off the hose, had the 1" valve open. Had the bottom of the hose 3' off the floor and still no flow of fuel. Fuel was in the hose at that level and would no doubt have run out if I lowered it to 2' from the floor.

I checked the direction of the flow on the filter and it was alright. I had the filter off and on about 3-4 times trying different things to no avail. Just possibly if I had a full tank, that may have gave it more head to force the diesel through the filter. I don't know.

It is a head-scratcher for me. I remember working on gravity filters at work, but it was on big tanks with lots of head.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor

This is weird. I let my tank run down to nothing and it still flows good.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Well based on my experience with the even flow fuel tank, with 4 gallons left, it would not drain horizontally. Drop the nozzle below the tank and it would drain the fuel out.

My guess is the filter is causing the restriction. Personally I would try actually forcing a little air into the tank for pressure.. it won't take much pressure. Less than 8 psi would be my guess since the pump I have that runs on air can pump up hill with just 8 psi.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast