Fuel Oil Tank Configuration.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration.
Yea, you need a much bigger filter and have it mounted up by tank. Mine has a drain on the bottom to remove water and debris.

Chris

Does your filter have a clear type bowl? and is your system a gravity system? I don't want to get another wrong filter that will not work in a gravity system. Thanks

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #12  
Deere Dude said:
Does your filter have a clear type bowl? and is your system a gravity system? I don't want to get another wrong filter that will not work in a gravity system. Thanks

No, its a metal spin on filter. Got it and the head at Rural King for $20. Replacement filters are $8 or so. I change it every 3 years or about 1000 gallons.

Yes, its gravity. Its 300 gallons and sits 9' up. I bet it flows 5 gallons a minute. My 10' hose is 3/4"id with the filter base and all fittings 3/4" also. It will fill my 6 gallon tractor tank in under a minute from 1/4 tank or so, which is about 4 to 5 gallons.

Chris

No, its a metal spin on filter. Got it and the head at Rural King for $20. Replacement filters are $8 or so. I change it every 3 years or about 1000 gallons.

Yes, its gravity. Its 300 gallons and sits 9' up. I bet it flows 5 gallons a minute. My 10' hose is 3/4"id with the filter base and all fittings 3/4" also. It will fill my 6 gallon tractor tank in under a minute from 1/4 tank or so, which is about 4 to 5 gallons.

Chris

I changed the filter to a spin on canister toward the end of the hose. I don't really like it there, but the filter won't let any fuel pass through if it is at the tank outlet, but it will at the and of the hose. Go figure. Maybe not enough head pressure in the tank to get it moving down the hose, I don't know. But it seems to work now and it is not that difficult to use this way, but it is not ideal.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #14  
   / Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #15  
Deere Dude said:
I changed the filter to a spin on canister toward the end of the hose. I don't really like it there, but the filter won't let any fuel pass through if it is at the tank outlet, but it will at the and of the hose. Go figure. Maybe not enough head pressure in the tank to get it moving down the hose, I don't know. But it seems to work now and it is not that difficult to use this way, but it is not ideal.

I got one of those pumps from harbor freight that uses air pressure for 30 or 55 drums. It only takes 8 psi for it to work and you can leave the drum standing.

Based on that pump, you might considering pressurizing the tank and then you shouldn't have a flow issue.

Just a thought based on your setip

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #16  
I do not understand why you can not get any flow? Is your tank well vented? Mine has a vent with screen over it to keep critters out. My tank was originally only 5 feet up and it never had a issue flowing.

Chris

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #17  
I do not understand why you can not get any flow? Is your tank well vented? Mine has a vent with screen over it to keep critters out. My tank was originally only 5 feet up and it never had a issue flowing.

Chris

Chris

I put that Goldenrod 595 spin on filter (the number going from memory) and it has enough flow for my needs comfortably. I had the clear glass filter in my hand but chose this one because I thought it could take a beating a little more than the see through one.

The bottom of the 100 gallon tank is 6' off the ground, well vented with about 25 gallons of fuel in it. This tank I cleaned out and flushed with water and then fried and put some diesel in it and sloshed it around and then dumped that.

I originally mounted that same filter right out of the hole in the lower end of the tank after a 1" elbow and valve. Then was a reducer and 3/4" st. elbow to a 3/4 gas hose to an automatic shut off nozzle (which I returned) and put just a ball valve on. I couldn't even get anything to the nozzle. I had the nozzle off the hose, had the 1" valve open. Had the bottom of the hose 3' off the floor and still no flow of fuel. Fuel was in the hose at that level and would no doubt have run out if I lowered it to 2' from the floor.

I checked the direction of the flow on the filter and it was alright. I had the filter off and on about 3-4 times trying different things to no avail. Just possibly if I had a full tank, that may have gave it more head to force the diesel through the filter. I don't know.

It is a head-scratcher for me. I remember working on gravity filters at work, but it was on big tanks with lots of head.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #19  
This is weird. I let my tank run down to nothing and it still flows good.

Chris

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #20  
Well based on my experience with the even flow fuel tank, with 4 gallons left, it would not drain horizontally. Drop the nozzle below the tank and it would drain the fuel out.

My guess is the filter is causing the restriction. Personally I would try actually forcing a little air into the tank for pressure.. it won't take much pressure. Less than 8 psi would be my guess since the pump I have that runs on air can pump up hill with just 8 psi.