Fuel Oil Tank Configuration.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I am sick of filling my tractors with 5 gallon cans. The fuel tank fill on my JD 3720 is not easy to do. I acquired an old 100 gallon round fuel oil tank. I sanded it down a little and painted it and cleaned out the scale and flushed it. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with it and that's where you guys come in.

I thought of building a stand outside and mounting it about 6' up and gravity fill my JD3720 and X740. I don't use that much fuel, maybe 7 gallons a day at the most and not very often. Time to fill isn't really that important as long as it's not a trickle.

I also considered keeping it low and pumping it up and over. Both setups would have to be filtered somehow, but was wondering if the gravity flow with probably a filter then a 5/8" hose and nozzle would be adequate. I used to see tanks mounted like that all the time in the country but not so much anymore. Then I wouldn't have to mess with a pump.

Another consideration would be, I planned on forking the tank to the back of my truck, filling it and then putting it back on the stand again. I did not price delivery yet to see if that would pay. Just wondering what a consensus would be from folks that fill either way.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #2  
I use a pump and if I had an easy way I think I would switch over to gravity fed. I'm sure a filter would slow down flow but not enough to be an issue. The problem is that unless you have a hose or you don't mind using something simple like a 1/4 turn ball valve you may find buying a pump that'll include the hose and nozzle (in my case also a filter set up) isn't too much more. On top of that if you buy a hose and nozzle and you decide to add a pump it may come with it's own so you'll have two.

Around here 100 gallons is the minimum they will deliver and you'll get no discounts but it's usually cheaper than what they sell ORD at the pump so there still is a savings. If it's gravity fed you'll have to make a way for the dealer to fill it up. My guy likes to see inside the tank as he's filling it. Maybe they would do it off a ladder.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #3  
I am sick of filling my tractors with 5 gallon cans. The fuel tank fill on my JD 3720 is not easy to do. I acquired an old 100 gallon round fuel oil tank. I sanded it down a little and painted it and cleaned out the scale and flushed it. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with it and that's where you guys come in.

I thought of building a stand outside and mounting it about 6' up and gravity fill my JD3720 and X740. I don't use that much fuel, maybe 7 gallons a day at the most and not very often. Time to fill isn't really that important as long as it's not a trickle.

I also considered keeping it low and pumping it up and over. Both setups would have to be filtered somehow, but was wondering if the gravity flow with probably a filter then a 5/8" hose and nozzle would be adequate. I used to see tanks mounted like that all the time in the country but not so much anymore
. Then I wouldn't have to mess with a pump.

Another consideration would be, I planned on forking the tank to the back of my truck, filling it and then putting it back on the stand again. I did not price delivery yet to see if that would pay. Just wondering what a consensus would be from folks that fill either way
Then I wouldn't have to mess with a pump.

Plunb up a 12v pump like this and you can forget these hassels which are far worse than messing with a pump .

100_2583.jpg

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #4  
Depending on where you are, the dealer delivering the oil, and your desire to comply with the letter of the law... New elevated tanks may not be allowed, due to EPA regulations. The rules now want a secondary containment vessel for tanks over a certain capacity (varies by local rule). I know one guy who convinced the dealer it was an old install, and he was simply switching dealers.

I use a drum mounted on a pallet and take it to a local dealer who gives me the same price I could get it delivered. It then goes onto the pallet rack.

Previous location, I had a 220 gal tank that was for the genset. I would buy diesel when the price bottomed in Aug. (Well, it used to bottom). The primary use was the genset during the winter (three week commercial power outages were a yearly happening) then over the spring, summer the tractor was filled using a 12 vdc transfer pump so most of the fuel was used each year keeping the fuel fairly fresh.

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #5  

I also considered keeping it low and pumping it up and over. Both setups would have to be filtered somehow, but was wondering if the gravity flow with probably a filter then a 5/8" hose and nozzle would be adequate. I used to see tanks mounted like that all the time in the country but not so much anymore. Then I wouldn't have to mess with a pump.

Another consideration would be, I planned on forking the tank to the back of my truck, filling it and then putting it back on the stand again. I did not price delivery yet to see if that would pay. Just wondering what a consensus would be from folks that fill either way.
Did you ever get your Fuel Oil Tank Configurated ? ?

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration.
I am sort of done but had a couple hiccups in the system. This is basically what I come up with. Do you think the legs are sturdy enough?

I had a spin on filter at the source but there was to much restriction so pulled that out. I had a nozzle like at a gas station and that didn't work out. I ended up putting the 3/4 hose straight to the valve on the tank and put another valve at the end with a old style furnace fuel tank filter after that, that I got with the old tank, and that works fairly good. I can get a nice solid stream out of a 3/8" pipe. I was hoping for a nice solid stream out of a 3/4" hose but I would have to find a bigger filter with a lot of flow capacity using gravity. I fill a JD3720 and a JD X740 and they have fairly small tanks anyway so speed isn't a serious matter. At least I don't have to hold the 6 gallon can over my head for 5 minutes filling the tank. I just stick it in and turn the valve on, and don't walk away:ashamed:

IMG_0986.JPGIMG_0988.JPGIMG_0990.JPGIMG_0991.JPG

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #9  
Glad you got it done.
Nice job.

I am sort of done but had a couple hiccups in the system. This is basically what I come up with. Do you think the legs are sturdy enough?

I had a spin on filter at the source but there was to much restriction so pulled that out. I had a nozzle like at a gas station and that didn't work out. I ended up putting the 3/4 hose straight to the valve on the tank and put another valve at the end with a old style furnace fuel tank filter after that, that I got with the old tank, and that works fairly good. I can get a nice solid stream out of a 3/8" pipe. I was hoping for a nice solid stream out of a 3/4" hose but I would have to find a bigger filter with a lot of flow capacity using gravity. I fill a JD3720 and a JD X740 and they have fairly small tanks anyway so speed isn't a serious matter. At least I don't have to hold the 6 gallon can over my head for 5 minutes filling the tank. I just stick it in and turn the valve on, and don't walk away:ashamed:

View attachment 284941View attachment 284942View attachment 284943View attachment 284944

/ Fuel Oil Tank Configuration. #10  
Yea, you need a much bigger filter and have it mounted up by tank. Mine has a drain on the bottom to remove water and debris.

Chris