Rear axle fluid capasity

/ Rear axle fluid capasity #1  

Spidermonkeywrench

Tractor
1975 Ford 7500 backhoe
:confused3:Im posting another question/funny story. I am changing the real axle fluid on the 1975 7500 Ford backhoe we recently purchaesd. Knowing its gunna be a lot of fluid isnt something that bothered me. What is funny is that the previous owner put 15W 40 diesel oil in the rear case. 10 gallons of it!!!:laughing: Ive got it drained out ( 10 gallons of burnt snot mostly) and Im about to add the manufacturers recomended fluid (M2C53-B hydraulic fluid). My question is this. Because of what was done do I need to remove the case completely and wash everything inside or can I just run 10 gallons of the right stuff for a few hours and then change it again?

/ Rear axle fluid capasity #2  
i don't imagine 15w40 hurt anything specifically.. though if the hyds/rear are common and that oil was meant to lunbe axle and diffy.. I bet they didn't enjoy not having EP lubricant :(

/ Rear axle fluid capasity
Im pretty sure the rear axle never had its fluid changed. Had to jam a rod into the drain hole to hook chunks of rust and garbage. 37 years may be the limit on time oil can sit in a diffy. I checked the oil (15/40) we got for the engine and didn't see anything saying it was for dif lubrication. That was the other reason I posted. I'll put some pics of the solidafied junk that rolled out of her rear up after I get done.:shocked:

/ Rear axle fluid capasity #4  
37 is a while.. but I seen longer! I drained the .. uh.. TAR on a old farmall. i'm betting it was 63ys old... it was black and thick.. not dark.. but black.. like the liquid asphalt tar you put on a roof.. had the texture of pudding!

/ Rear axle fluid capasity #5  
Not that its the same thing but some import tractors actually use strait 30 weight motor oil in the gear boxes/rear axles, hydraulics, and front axles. I think the reason this was done on these imports is because in some parts of the world its just tough to find fluids so having just one spec for everything is much easier.

Chris

/ Rear axle fluid capasity #6  
if doing that.. I'd think they'd want to use that utf/engine oil product that's out.

truly 1 oil for all sumps. engine.. hyds, power steering.. tranny.. rear end, final drives..e tc. heard of it used in britian.

I know on some of our heavy equipment we have old CAT's that use 30w and 40w in the trans.. but those are torque converter setups... not final drives.