stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #1  

big e

Silver Member
Tractor
L3130 Kubota
Whats currently the best way to store ethanol-gasoline?

Here's what the good folks at Stabil say:
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx

1. Does regular Stabil deal with the ethanol storage problems?
or
2. Do I need to use both regular Stabil as well as Stabil Ethanol?
3. Seafoam says it stabilizes. Is it good enough for long term storage? And does it deal with the ethanol storage problems?

Stabil site doesn't appear to say that regular Stabil takes care of ethanol storage problems.
and
Stabil site does say that Stabil Ethanol is "designed for every fill up."

Thoughts?

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #2  
I'm suprised there arn't 20 responses already...there are several posts and strong positions.
For my diesel tractors (I had a 78 Bolens and now have a 09 TYM) I have never used an additive and never had a fuel problem. I normally don't use my tractors from January thru March and they have always started just fine.
For my small gas engines (mower, trimmers,etc.) I run them dry for the winter storage periods. Again, I've never had a problem in the spring getting them to start.
Finally, I have a old sailboat with a 30 hp inboard gas engine (Atomic Four for the old timers!). Don't know why, but nothing works for storing gas. Probably due to salt air and ethanol, but don't know for sure. I've tried Stabil and it just doesn't keep the gas fresh. I've resorted to storing the boat with as little fuel as possible, and draining it in the spring. With fresh fuel she starts right up.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #3  
I am trying a product called "Startron" ,check it out.I have used Stabil for years with good results.Just put my boat up and added both,and the gas is non-ethanol.Hate to waste $5.00 a gallon marine fuel.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage
My question is specific to gas. I guess I was hoping for something "definitive". :laughing:
Like most of us, I have several different type engines to put up for winter, all with different needs and recommendations. For instance my 93 BMW motorcycle has a metal tank that can be prone to rust when stored empty.
Startron might be the ticket, thanks.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #5  
Nothing better than Stabil Marine. It comes in 10oz containers and will treat 80 gallons of fuel for $7. I maintain nearly 75 pieces of equipment, mainly boats, and mainly gas and its the only thing I have found to work.

Chris

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #6  
I just stored my boat for the winter for the first time 56 galons of fuel and added a bottle of LUCAS fuel /ethanol stabilizer bottle said treated 80 gallons but would not hurt to over treat so dumped whole bottle in I will let you know how I make out this spring.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #7  
dclynch said:
I just stored my boat for the winter for the first time 56 galons of fuel and added a bottle of LUCAS fuel /ethanol stabilizer bottle said treated 80 gallons but would not hurt to over treat so dumped whole bottle in I will let you know how I make out this spring.

We use it also when StaBil is unavailable. I get it for $6 a bottle at Menards.

Chris

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #8  
Ditto startron. Takes care of the ethanol. You can get it at Napa, TSC, and Walmart. Works great. I have started buying strsight gas for storage. It costs a little more but in small engines it is worth it.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #9  
I only buy pure gasoline for my small gasoline engines and then dose it with RED STABIL. It works. I will use the ethanol blend gas in my car and truck but for the lawn equipment, nothing but pure gas. I had too much carb problems with the ethanol.

/ stabil - stabil ethanol - seafoam - storage #10  
I'd buy pure gas, too, if it were available locally, but since it isn't, I just add red Stabil and so far no problems with small engines. I do use the 89 octane instead of the 87 octane gas.