Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #41  
What is a fella to use to flush out fuel cans? Yesterday I poured the contents of a seldom used fuel can (plastic) into another container. You should have seen the crap that came with! Cautiously, I had put a paint filter in the funnel that caught thee worst of it. (The fuel had been "sitting around" for some time.

After the transfer, I threw a hand full of clean pebbles in the can along with about a half gallon of water and a squeeze of dish soap and then twisted the cap back on. Shook the tar out of the can for about five minutes. When the contents were dumped, It looked like the devil. But the can looked pretty clean after a good rinsing with fresh water ;-0

so i suppose if fuel can get the water out, water can get the fuel out too...

strange whirled is it not ;-)

Hi Cal - sounds like you got 'er done. Well rinsed with water, and allowed to completely dry, you have a can back in service.

I'm less patient, so when I've had to clean up a contaminated plastic gas can I usually use spray carb cleaner. With the extension straw on the spray can, you can usually spray all the gunk spots off the walls - screw the top back on the gas can - shake it well a few times, then drain. Carb cleaner evaporates fast, so you don't have to wait for a water rinse to dry up.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #42  
Hi Cal - sounds like you got 'er done. Well rinsed with water, and allowed to completely dry, you have a can back in service.

Rgds, D.

Nah...I just filled the jug back up with fuel, The soapy water mix helps keep the fuel tank on the tractor clean;-) It's all a big cycle isn't it!

(I did leave the jug tipped top down and in the sun for the afternoon,,,, Might have been dry ;-)