Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #1  

FarmerChad

Tractor
IH 424, Farmall A
Hello all,

First post here. I've got a 1941 Farmall A with hydraulics. My problem is that I've got milky oil and transmission fluid. What would be the cause of this, and what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks, and I look forward to getting some of your great advise!

FarmerChad

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #2  
Hello all,

First post here. I've got a 1941 Farmall A with hydraulics. My problem is that I've got milky oil and transmission fluid. What would be the cause of this, and what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks, and I look forward to getting some of your great advise!

FarmerChad

You've got water in the oil.
Change the oil in both.

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #3  
That's a nice ride. Determining source of water also important. Has it been a long while since the oil was changed? Water in transmission is often explained by damaged rubber boot on the shifter that allows moisture to enter over time. Engine cause could be similar or possibly a slight leak from the coolant system.

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #4  
Water. What has been done around here for years is to drain, fill with diesel, let it warm up and exercise it for 5 minutes to clean it up, drain it again overnight, refill with proper fluid. Some add some rubbing alcohol to help remove the moisture.

Chris

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #5  
Water. What has been done around here for years is to drain, fill with diesel, let it warm up and exercise it for 5 minutes to clean it up, drain it again overnight, refill with proper fluid. Some add some rubbing alcohol to help remove the moisture.

Chris

I don't think running any machinery with diesel fuel in it is a good idea. There too precious little lubricity in the stuff. There used to be a product called "Essentia Lube" of something like, but I find ATF or hydraulic fluid answers for just about any need for a light weight cleaning lubricant.

Best solution is find some chore that needs done that is gonna take operating the tractor all day. Let the heat of operation drive out the moisture.

Cast iron sweats on the inside, there is really nothing that can be done to keep water out. Annual fluid changes are a good thing. (But excessive for some)

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #6  

Chris

We have done the same around here too, but maybe add a few quarts of ATF to the mix. Running for 5 minutes with diesel or diesel ATF mix would be fine. IMO going "all day" may get a little water out, but not enough to get the majority out.

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #7  
I'ts a pretty common practice to thin oil with some diesel or kerosene and then add alcohol to it to dewater.. then drain.

jd used to reccomend thinning the gear oil in the wihter with kerosene!

( but heck.. who are they? what would their engineers know.. right? :) :) )

and transtune/seafoam is an alcohol product for watter disoloution.

a home brew i use is atf, diesel and 90% rubbing alcohol.
have used it on virtually all my machines and countless dozens (plus) other tracotrs and pieces of heavy equipment. ( not specifically in the crankcase mind you.. just oil sumps.. )

you do whatever makes you sleep better at night.

running water laden hyd oil in a pump for hours upon hours will cause cavitation and SEVERE reduction in lube.. way worse than a lil diesel and atf and alcohol...

i don't know if transtune lists hyds applications or just trannies on their can.. however a email to their tech dept will get you a reply. the reply to me was that it was fine in hyds as well...

I don't think running any machinery with diesel fuel in it is a good idea. There too precious little lubricity in the stuff. There used to be a product called "Essentia Lube" of something like, but I find ATF or hydraulic fluid answers for just about any need for a light weight cleaning lubricant.

Best solution is find some chore that needs done that is gonna take operating the tractor all day. Let the heat of operation drive out the moisture.

Cast iron sweats on the inside, there is really nothing that can be done to keep water out. Annual fluid changes are a good thing. (But excessive for some)

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #8  
ps... one would hope that they treated the innards of the cast sumps with glyptal.... fords are...

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #9  
I would be a bit concerned using diesel if hydraulics are involved, as diesel explodes on compression, and while it is very unlikely that a hydraulic system will reach even close to that pressure, I wasn't prepared to take that risk. Especially with the addition of alcohol. My tractor uses the transmission oil for all the hydraulic systems.

/ Milky Oil and Transmission Fluid #10  
It's condensation................Same thing happened to my John Deere 455D track Loader. It sat for a few years and I started it to use, I drove it to the front yard and the trany and final drives were really milky. I started to panic thinking I had a serious water leak. I changed all the fluids and voila everything is roses again. You need to use the machine more often.