perkins deisel fuel problem

/ perkins deisel fuel problem #1  

brn007

Tractor
1973 mustang owatonna 1700 SKID STEER LOADER
I HAVE A 73 MUSTANG SKID STEER LOADER WITH A PERKINS DIESEL FOUR CYLINDER.42 HP. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE BLEDING PROCESS. WHEN I CHANGED THE FILTER. I BELIEVE I HAVE BLED EVERYTHING RIGHT. I BLED AT THE INJECTORS UNTIL GOOD STEDY FUEL WAS COMING OUT[SPURTS] AND IT STARTED RUNNING. SMOKING WHITE. IT WILL RUN AT TIMES FOR A FEW MINUTES. THEN SOMETIMES WHEN YOU CRANK IT , IT GOES DEAD EMEDITLY. BUT STARTS BACK UP. I ALSO BLED THE HIGH SIDE LINE ON THE INJECTORS TO GET IT TO CRANK SOMETIMES. MOST OF THE TIME IT WILL START ON ITS ON WITHOUT BLEDING BUT THE LONGEST IT WILL RUN IS ABOUT 3 MINUTES. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL. I CAN LOOSEN EACH INDIVIDUAL LINE ON THE INJECTORS[HIGH SIDE] AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF THE ENGINE LIKE EACH CYLINDER IS WORKING. I HAVE BLED EVERY PORT ON THE INJECTOR THAT I CAN SEE. ONE PORT. IT IS A CAV DPA3249F010 PUMP. MECHANICAL. SO AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR IS THERE STILL AIR IN THE SYSTEM. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 2 DAYS AND CRANKED IT ABOUT FIFTY TIMES. OR IS THE INJECTION PUMP GONE OUT ON ME. I COULD HAVE THE PUMP BENCH TESTED BUT I WOULD JUST LIKE SOMEONE THAT KNOWS MORE ABOUT DIESEL THAN I TO GIVE ME A DIRECTION TO GO. SORRY FOR THE SPELLING. I WOULD BE THANKFUL FOR ANY HELP. 1ST TIME ON CHAT WEB SITE.

Last edited:
   / perkins deisel fuel problem #2  
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I have a forklift with a Perkins 4.154 diesel in it. Recently I was having similar problems where it was idling rough and then shutting down whenever I pushed the go pedal.

It seemed like it was starving for fuel, and changing the fuel filter didn't help. I then pulled the access panel to the fuel tank and discovered that there was a piece of cellophane tape wedged inside the opening of the fuel pickup tube. There was also a bunch of balled-up string inside the tube at the top elbow. I'm not sure how this trash got into my fuel tank, but after I removed these debris the forklift is running great again.

Another possibility is a failing lift pump if your engine has one. If the lift pump is mechanical and running off the camshaft lobe a torn diaphram can allow diesel fuel to get into the crankcase, so check the oil level and see if it is high and smells of fuel. A cracked fuel line between the tank and the injection pump may also be allowing air into the system, so check all of the connections carefully for air leaks.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

/ perkins deisel fuel problem #3  
when in doubt, run it out of a small container of fuel... eliminate any and all lines NOT on the engine..

/ perkins deisel fuel problem #4  
Check first to make sure you have fuel flow to the pump. Remove the line from the tank to the pump and make sure it flows good. If it does then take the filter back off and fill with fuel and reinstall. Bleed as necessary to get it going.

Did it run fine before you attempted to change the filter or was it running poorly and thats why you though you needed to change the filter?

Chris

/ perkins deisel fuel problem
IT WAS RUNNING OR LACK THERE OF THATS THE REASON FOR CHANGING FILTER AND GOING DOWN THIS ROAD. I WAS RUNNING IT OUT OF A FUEL CAN WITH GOOD CLEAN FUEL. I AM GETTING FUEL TO THE PUMP. I AM AGETTING FUEL TO THE INJECTORS. GOOD SPURTS OF FUEL WHEN IT IS RUNNING AND DRIPS WHEN JUST TURNING IT OVER. IF I LET IT SET FOR A WHILE IT SEEMS LIKE IT CRANKS AND RUNS THE LONGEST. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL FOR SOME REASON. OR STILL AIR IN LINE, BUT THATS JUST HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE AFTER THE TIME I HAVE SPENT ON IT TURNINNG THE MOTOR AND CRANKING THE ENGINE. HELP!!!!

DONT KNOW ABOUT THE LIFT PUMP BUT THERE IS NO FUEL IN THE OIL. I HAVE REPLACED ALL FUEL LINES AND WAS RUNNING IT OUT OF A FUEL CONTAINER WITH CLEAN FUEL. ABOUT CRACKS IN LINE I HAVE CLEANED ALL LINES AND SEE NO SIGNS OF LEAKS.

/ perkins deisel fuel problem #7  
You are sucking air somewhere or have a blockage in a line somewhere.

Been there done that.

/ perkins deisel fuel problem #8  
I'll bet you are either sucking air or have a clogged line.

I CAN TAKE ALL THE HARD FUEL LINES OFF AND INSPECT THEM AND THERE FITTINGS. COULD THE PUMP BE SUCKING AIR THREW BAD SEALS OR COULDNT HAPPEN. WHAT GETS ME IT WILL RUN FINE FOR A FEW AND THEN LIKE YOU TURNED OF THE GAS ON A SMALL ENGINE, JUST RUNS OUT OF GAS.

I KNOW AIR IN FUEL LINES WILL CAUSE YOU TO PULL OUT HAIR