Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

Default Re: Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps?

I only have a 275 gallon tank in the basement. I am thinking of adding additional and/or a larger storage tank. Wouldn't be able to retro into basement (100 year old farmhouse).

So, essentially I would be tapping off the primary heating fuel if I go with the plan. Otherwise i will stick with the 55 gallon concept
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I have three types, 1) two 5 gallon jugs, 2) a 55 gallon steel tank (square) with a 12 volt fillrite pump with filter, and 3) a 275 gallon tank with a hand pump on it. Hard to fill the 275 in this economy , but the 5 & 55 gallon get used regularly. The 275 gets filled when filling the house tank because 500 gallons plus & paying cash within 2 days cuts .5 to .15 cents off per gallon sometime a little more. The 55 gal. is on a small pallet so its easy to move from truck to trailer to ground with tractor loader forks. Gets alot of use. Look on craigslist or for an old oil barrel,or tank. Or just look around town got three tanks for free just to remove them from yard. Got one two years ago 275 gal. and it was full of fuel FREE . Thank god & good freinds.

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

I have a 109 gallon aluminum tank with 12v pump sitting in a utility trailer I can take to town to the off-highway pump for refilling. I also have a Goldenrod filter/separator on the outlet. I went with aluminum because of problems with steel tanks over the years but it might have been overkill although I think it was only $25 more for aluminum vs. a similar size steel tank at the time I bought.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by 69runner View Post
    Hi all:

I just purchased a Mahindra 3616 Cab model and started thinking about fuel filling. The 7 gal. tank is on top of the hood so getting a 5 gal. can up there will be a challenge at best. I started reading this forum to see what other folks might be doing. There are some great set-ups many of you have developed!

After a little research, I ran across several in-bed transfer tanks that my be a good solution although expensive. One model from Amazon is the UWS TT-45-COMBO 45 Gallon Combo Aluminum Transfer Tank. I don't think I need more fuel capacity as that should fill-up the tractor about 6 times. Add a good mechanical pump like a Fill-Rite Rotary Hand Pump, Model# FR112NT (if it fits that tank) and it I think it's a good system. I really don't know how many hours or the amount of fuel I'll being using this winter and next spring/summer. I do plan on being busy doing landscaping.

You can buy fuel tanks only in 50 to 100 gal. and also in steel which are less money but I would be concerned about carrying too much fuel and the steel rusting.

Any input and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx
    Larry
    Larry,

I run about 200 hrs/yr and use the 50 GL cube with the Fill Rite hand pump. I have a another one for gasoline to do mowers, chainsaws, generator and other stuff. I put 4 wheels on them so they can be moved around easy. Pick up with FEL/forks and load in PU when empty. Works great for me. The full 50 GL is right at the limit of my BX25 FEL so larger won't work for me. Be sure and put the FR filter on the pump outlet. Cost was under $400 for each. O' I used the steel tanks as they are a lot cheaper. Rusting should not be a problem with my through put. Just burn it in engoines as it forms as the pump keeps the bottom stirred up. I use Staybil and a diesel additive also.

Ron

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
    I did that, works well. Think I posted pics here at some point.

Put a hydraulic quick connect on the basement wall to actually attach hose pipe to. I also needed a hose extender. All plumbing in basement was black pipe. Put a spin on napa filter on in between shutoffs, and a drain on the pressure line.

Also changed fuel order to dyed diesel. Pretty much the same price as heating oil, much better for tractor
    Yep, I remember when you did that. If I had HHO I would do the same thing as you.

Chris

Tractor
    Cub Cadet

Happy Thanks Giving everyone and thanks for the input! Sorry for the long delay but business and travel gets in the way of fun...

I've gone with a Better Built 36 gallon aluminum tank, Fill Rite FR112 manual pump, and a Cim-Tek 10 micron, particle/water filter set-up. I installed the tank yesterday and now need to install the pump, filter set-up, and filler hose.

New question: can I use schedule 40 or 80 PVC as fitting or is steel pipe better? I've looked in the forums and some have used PVC but say it it can get brittle in cold weather. Its a lot easier for me to cut and install since i have no way to thread pipe. Any other issues?

The extendable pipe on the pump is too long but I can cut that off. Or, I could build a PVC pipe to fit.

Thanks again!

BTW : the Mahindra 3616 is a great little tractor. I just got it back a week or so ago and Scott from Cascade, had installed the backhoe. I hope to play with that this weekend!

Larry

Sent from my iPad

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

DO NOT Use PVC. It will soften withpertoleum products and gets brittle over time. Use galv steel nipples and fittings. Only place you need is between the pump and filter. That is what I did.

Ron

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by CBW1999 View Post
    Tractor supply has the "traveler" brand transfer pump kit on sale for $99.00. low end of gpm but adequate. ready to go out of the box with the exception of filters. On e-bay, found one with a higher gpm rating for $149.00 ready to go (no filters either).
    TS has them knocked down to $89 now, and I used a 10% coupon to get it even cheaper. Just need to get the filter and vent setup. Already have my 55 gallon drum like LBrown shows.

I actually saw a guy take his to Walmart and fill them up here not long ago (had them on a trailer.) I live close enough I could drive my UTV up there with the trailer on it and fill mine up.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Seabee View Post
    DO NOT Use PVC. It will soften withpertoleum products and gets brittle over time. Use galv steel nipples and fittings. Only place you need is between the pump and filter. That is what I did.

Ron
    Galvanized (zinc coated) materials doesnt mix well with diesel and can cause some problems. Better to use plain black iron pipe and fittings like you would for natural gas lines. Stay away from plastics that could weaken and break off causing fuel leaks.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Galvanized (zinc coated) materials doesnt mix well with diesel and can cause some problems.
    galvanized pipe is not galvanized on the inside. its plain black pipe on the inside. galvanized version is just on the outside.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast