Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps?

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #1  

69runner

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Hi all:

I just purchased a Mahindra 3616 Cab model and started thinking about fuel filling. The 7 gal. tank is on top of the hood so getting a 5 gal. can up there will be a challenge at best. I started reading this forum to see what other folks might be doing. There are some great set-ups many of you have developed!

After a little research, I ran across several in-bed transfer tanks that my be a good solution although expensive. One model from Amazon is the UWS TT-45-COMBO 45 Gallon Combo Aluminum Transfer Tank. I don't think I need more fuel capacity as that should fill-up the tractor about 6 times. Add a good mechanical pump like a Fill-Rite Rotary Hand Pump, Model# FR112NT (if it fits that tank) and it I think it's a good system. I really don't know how many hours or the amount of fuel I'll being using this winter and next spring/summer. I do plan on being busy doing landscaping.

You can buy fuel tanks only in 50 to 100 gal. and also in steel which are less money but I would be concerned about carrying too much fuel and the steel rusting.

Any input and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx
Larry

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #2  
I have a 50 gallon "cube" steel tank in my dually Dodge. I like it because I can still use the entire length of the bed for lumber and fence posts, etc...

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #3  
Thousands of trucks in Texas have a diesel tank in their pickup bed with 12V transfer pump...myself included. Actually, I have two, one for diesel, one for gasoline.
Worry not about rust. A transfer pump is FAR more fun than hefting 5 gallon cans all the time. I got mine off of Craig's List.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #4  
I picked up a 100 gallon tank with a fillrite pump on Craigslist for around $200. I then sold the Fillrite pump and picked up a new Northern Tool pump when it was on sale for around $115 with the profits from the sale of the other pump. I then added two inline filters from Tractor Supply (water / sediment).

Best bang for the buck pump package I have seen. Includes everything you need except the battery and filters.
Northern Industrial Tools Fuel Transfer Pump Kit — 12 Volt, 8 GPM | DC Powered Fuel Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

I get my diesel delivered from the same guy I buy home heating oil from. I add diesel fuel treatment to the tank when it is filled.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #5  
I use a 30 gallon drum and an air power pump from harbor freight for fuel. A little portable air tank is all it takes, 8 psi max and I can fill 7 gallons of fuel in about 12 seconds.

It is super quick. I stick with the 30 gallons since that is about all the fuel I run in the summer.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #6  
I get my diesel delivered from the same guy I buy home heating oil from. I add diesel fuel treatment to the tank when it is filled.

I've been using the 5 gallon/grunt method so far too - sucks in good weather, don't much want to be doing it in bad. Need to set up something better.

If I'm understanding it right, the fuel additive prevents algae & other undesireable uck, but what about condensation? I keep Baby John's tank topped off but how do you cold-country folk prevent condensation in your storage tanks?

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #7  
I have a tool box already in my shortbed 2003 and did not want to have a diesel tank and spills in the bed. I picked up a 3/4 ton military surplus trailer with cover and surge brakes for $400 and am in the process of installing a 100 gallon tank from TSC and a 12V pump from Northern Tool with a solar charged battery. I will haul it in to town and fill it up, then park it at home. It has built in in jack stands fore and aft. That way my wife can fill up her tractor when I am not at home.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #8  
I have a 60 gallon weatherguard tank on my truck also the red filrite pump. Ive had this set up for well over 10 years. I got a filter on the pump to catch the rust and water before it enters the equipment.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #9  
Drain your tank pretty often after you removed your fuel source. Also put a spin on filter housing on your pump and itll catch the dirt trash and water. Also if your tractors tank has a drain its also good to drain it often too.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #10  
LBrown59 has a nice setup for smaller fuel use. I got some nice tips from him when setting mine up, although mine isn't quite as sophisticated as his.
I bought a new 15 gallon plastic drum from Gempler's. Then I got a 12 volt transfer pump off ebay and then service station type hose & nozzle from Tractor Supply. From TS I also got a water separating filter unit. I had to buy pipe & fittings to get from the pump to the bottom of the drum and from the pump into and out of the filter unit.
I keep a 12 volt deep cycle battery on hand to power the pump as needed.
I can throw the empty drum into the truck and unload it when full with the Bobcat or just make a couple of trips down the street with a 5 gallon jug and pour into the drum as needed.