Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet

Default Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps?

Hi all:

I just purchased a Mahindra 3616 Cab model and started thinking about fuel filling. The 7 gal. tank is on top of the hood so getting a 5 gal. can up there will be a challenge at best. I started reading this forum to see what other folks might be doing. There are some great set-ups many of you have developed!

After a little research, I ran across several in-bed transfer tanks that my be a good solution although expensive. One model from Amazon is the UWS TT-45-COMBO 45 Gallon Combo Aluminum Transfer Tank. I don't think I need more fuel capacity as that should fill-up the tractor about 6 times. Add a good mechanical pump like a Fill-Rite Rotary Hand Pump, Model# FR112NT (if it fits that tank) and it I think it's a good system. I really don't know how many hours or the amount of fuel I'll being using this winter and next spring/summer. I do plan on being busy doing landscaping.

You can buy fuel tanks only in 50 to 100 gal. and also in steel which are less money but I would be concerned about carrying too much fuel and the steel rusting.

Any input and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx
    Larry

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 5083E

Default Re: Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps?

I have a 50 gallon "cube" steel tank in my dually Dodge. I like it because I can still use the entire length of the bed for lumber and fence posts, etc...
    Humble Camp Peach Farm
    2013 John Deere 5083E, 2013 JD 328 Square Baler
    1966 Massey Ferguson MF150 Diesel High Clearance
    1953 Ford Jubilee

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Thousands of trucks in Texas have a diesel tank in their pickup bed with 12V transfer pump...myself included. Actually, I have two, one for diesel, one for gasoline.
    Worry not about rust. A transfer pump is FAR more fun than hefting 5 gallon cans all the time. I got mine off of Craig's List.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240HST

I picked up a 100 gallon tank with a fillrite pump on Craigslist for around $200. I then sold the Fillrite pump and picked up a new Northern Tool pump when it was on sale for around $115 with the profits from the sale of the other pump. I then added two inline filters from Tractor Supply (water / sediment).

Best bang for the buck pump package I have seen. Includes everything you need except the battery and filters.
    Northern Industrial Tools Fuel Transfer Pump Kit — 12 Volt, 8 GPM | DC Powered Fuel Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

I get my diesel delivered from the same guy I buy home heating oil from. I add diesel fuel treatment to the tank when it is filled.
    Kubota Grand L3240HST, LA724 FEL with QA, 72" QA bucket, Turf Tires, QA snow plow, QA Loader Buddy, Bradco Pallet Forks, Leinbach 72" pine straw rake, GroundWorks brush forks and Kubota L series ballast box.
    ---------------------------
    Stihl stuff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

I use a 30 gallon drum and an air power pump from harbor freight for fuel. A little portable air tank is all it takes, 8 psi max and I can fill 7 gallons of fuel in about 12 seconds.

It is super quick. I stick with the 30 gallons since that is about all the fuel I run in the summer.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Quote Originally Posted by amigauser View Post
    I get my diesel delivered from the same guy I buy home heating oil from. I add diesel fuel treatment to the tank when it is filled.
    I've been using the 5 gallon/grunt method so far too - sucks in good weather, don't much want to be doing it in bad. Need to set up something better.

If I'm understanding it right, the fuel additive prevents algae & other undesireable uck, but what about condensation? I keep Baby John's tank topped off but how do you cold-country folk prevent condensation in your storage tanks?

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

I have a tool box already in my shortbed 2003 and did not want to have a diesel tank and spills in the bed. I picked up a 3/4 ton military surplus trailer with cover and surge brakes for $400 and am in the process of installing a 100 gallon tank from TSC and a 12V pump from Northern Tool with a solar charged battery. I will haul it in to town and fill it up, then park it at home. It has built in in jack stands fore and aft. That way my wife can fill up her tractor when I am not at home.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    Kubota 3940 hydrostat, john deere 310 J, case 580 M, cat D5G, cat 320 CL

I have a 60 gallon weatherguard tank on my truck also the red filrite pump. Ive had this set up for well over 10 years. I got a filter on the pump to catch the rust and water before it enters the equipment.

Tractor
    Kubota 3940 hydrostat, john deere 310 J, case 580 M, cat D5G, cat 320 CL

Drain your tank pretty often after you removed your fuel source. Also put a spin on filter housing on your pump and itll catch the dirt trash and water. Also if your tractors tank has a drain its also good to drain it often too.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

LBrown59 has a nice setup for smaller fuel use. I got some nice tips from him when setting mine up, although mine isn't quite as sophisticated as his.
    I bought a new 15 gallon plastic drum from Gempler's. Then I got a 12 volt transfer pump off ebay and then service station type hose & nozzle from Tractor Supply. From TS I also got a water separating filter unit. I had to buy pipe & fittings to get from the pump to the bottom of the drum and from the pump into and out of the filter unit.
    I keep a 12 volt deep cycle battery on hand to power the pump as needed.
    I can throw the empty drum into the truck and unload it when full with the Bobcat or just make a couple of trips down the street with a 5 gallon jug and pour into the drum as needed.
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast