Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23

Default Re: Oil over fill

Heck, here in Vermont, that line on the dip stick is just a reference for the "hilly terrain" sump level. Down hill, it's low, up hill, it's high. There is always plenty of both! ;-)

Silver Member

Thanks for the advice, always helpful.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT335sst

I just changed my oil and over filled it by about 1/2 inch on the dipstick, engine didn't sound right, made a little more noise, so I drained about 3 quarts out and began to refill, ended up with about a 1/2 quart left in a gallon jug, i have noticed i had some metal shavings in the drain pan after I poured the oil in the gallon jug, The drain pan was washed and dried before using, This was the first oil change (first50 hours) Is this normal or should I be concerned. I replaced the Original bobcat filter with a WIX, Maybe that's the problem....

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by pay1920 View Post
    I just changed my oil and over filled it by about 1/2 inch on the dipstick, engine didn't sound right, made a little more noise, so I drained about 3 quarts out and began to refill, ended up with about a 1/2 quart left in a gallon jug, i have noticed i had some metal shavings in the drain pan after I poured the oil in the gallon jug, The drain pan was washed and dried before using, This was the first oil change (first50 hours) Is this normal or should I be concerned. I replaced the Original bobcat filter with a WIX, Maybe that's the problem....
    No, metal is not normal. I would save it and document it along with a call to the dealer and manufacture tomorrow.

Chris

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i have sometimes found oil shavings out of some sumps on initial chan ge / new equipment.

as i don't get alot of new equipment.. i don't see it often.

that's usually why I do an oil change within hours of buying new equipment.. in cast manufacturing junk was left in.

i will say that I find it mor ein trannies and rear ends than crank cases.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT335sst

Thanks for the feedback, Like I stated earlier, I didn't use the Bobcat brand filter, I went with a WIX, If the parts house gave me the wrong filter, would that have anything to do with the extra noise I was hearing, would the oil be restricted if the wrong oil filter was used? Thanks Pay1920

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12