Oil over fill

/ Oil over fill #1  

PioneerMan

Silver Member
So I changed the oil on my compact, under filled it by a hair, then over filled it by a notch. It is not even a quarter inch too high on the dipstick. Engine runs just as it should. Do I have to drain some out cause that would be a pain. And do you guys check it hot or cold? Does it make a difference? Thanks!

/ Oil over fill #2  
So I changed the oil on my compact, under filled it by a hair, then over filled it by a notch. It is not even a quarter inch too high on the dipstick. Engine runs just as it should. Do I have to drain some out cause that would be a pain. And do you guys check it hot or cold? Does it make a difference? Thanks!

I've done the same thing in the past and about the same overfill amount you describe...I just let it go and all was well ....so I would say you are fine..but you might want to wait and see what others say...

/ Oil over fill #3  
I check cold, but expect that it will read more full when hot. Some vehicle manuals (e.g., for a DRZ 400 motorbike) specify checking when hot, 3min after engine shutdown, what a PITA. Maybe your owner's manual has a recommendation?

Neither a little below "fill" nor a little above "full" should make any difference in engine operation. Way overfilling sometimes leads to foamy oil churned up by the crankshaft, but the foam will exit via oil breather or crankcase vent or PCV valve (depending upon the age of the tractor) and thus bring the oil level down.

/ Oil over fill #4  
That's a fun one eh? Been there, done that. I was always worried excess oil would end up building deposits on the head. At least that's something I read when I was a kid.
So, you crawl back underneath, unscrew the drain plug and make feeble attempts to screw it back in before too much oil drains out. Meantime oil is running down your arm, on your favorite flannel shirt and a jacket you've been trying to keep clean. Rarely goes as planned. Normal procedure here is recheck the dipstick while slowly filling. Find it's low. Offer a few cuss words to the gods and this time add oil slowly, checking dipstick regularly.

/ Oil over fill #5  
If I was to drain it down I would just take off the filter and dump it. Repeat if necessary. My filter holds a 1/2 qt.

Chris

/ Oil over fill #6  
I always understood the risk from too much oil was that the crankshaft action could cause the oil to foam in the engine and could cause oil starvation. Too much oil can be a very bad thing and when it happens to me I just keep dumpimg it out of the oil filter.

/ Oil over fill #7  
Taht small amount overfull should not be an issue.

I have several machines that are 5.5qts with filter on a change.

I let all 6 drain in. oil shows just above the hatched line.

have yet to ever have an issue.

/ Oil over fill #8  
Much depends on the size of your crankcase. I dont think 10% of capacity overfill would hurt, ie 1/2 quart on a 5 quart capacity engine. I overfilled my truck by about 1/4" on the stick which was about 1/2 a quart and had no problems. Used full synthetic oil and even with the overfill, still increased my mileage by at least 3 MPG average so I dont think you will hurt it.

/ Oil over fill #9  
If I was to drain it down I would just take off the filter and dump it. Repeat if necessary. My filter holds a 1/2 qt.

Chris

Dump from the filter??? Why didn't you guys tell me this years ago ???:hissyfit:

/ Oil over fill #10  
better yet.. change the filter.. it's cheap and never hurts.. and there goes yer 1/2 qt.. :)