Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Fleetguard air filter - sad to say.....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    I have been disappointed in Napa and Wix filters of late. They are one in the same. Plastic end caps and threads on a fuel filter just does not cut it for me. I traded them out for a Fram that is built much better.

Chris
    Why do you hate plastic end caps? Do they prove better filtering, longevity etc? I could careless what they are as long as the work in UOA's.

kubota air filtes, as least my Bx24 and BX22 came stock with a fleetguard air filter. I buy NAPA now.
    "In God we trust; all others must bring data"
    -Edwards Deming

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by sw03

Why do you hate plastic end caps? Do they prove better filtering, longevity etc? I could careless what they are as long as the work in UOA's.

kubota air filtes, as least my Bx24 and BX22 came stock with a fleetguard air filter. I buy NAPA now.
    In a air filter it does not bother me but plastic end caps/threads in a fuel, hydraulic, or oil filter just worries me. Especially when there are other good cost effective options.

Chris

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1210 / Ford 1710

I don't know who makes Motorcraft oil filters but they seem decent quality. Usually all I will buy.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615L

Fram air and oil filters have served me well for over 30 years. But things do change rapidly in our current economic climate. NAPA has always been overpriced on just about everything they sell, and Napa knowhow well I have to wonder? Their commercials are pretty lame! IMHO.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

I agree that NAPA is overpriced, probably because they give a trade discount to repair shops.
    Is the best place to buy filters mail order? From who?

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

The only filters I have ever seen fail was Fo MO Co the oil filter on a M11 failed and cut off the oil preasure. We cut it apart and it had very little paper about 1/3 what a Fleetguard or Baldwin had.
    I have seen a batch of Cat secondary fuel filters, they twisted and blocked the flow.
    Personally I use Wix, and Bosch, I used a lot of AC Delco but cut one apart and was not impressed. I will use Fram if necessary, the better ones.
    Plastic against steel to me is not a problem, I cut filters apart and look what they are made of, that to me is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    I maintain about 75 engines in marine applications, farm equipment, small engines, and autos. It works out to about 100 oil changes per year. We use Fram, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Ace, K&N, Bosch, and a few other brands of filters. My far more Frams then anything for over 20 years. Not a single filter or oil failure.

Chris
    Back in the 50s and early 60s, we sold quite a number of different brands of oil filters in the auto parts store, but Fram was by far the biggest seller. So as long as I was doing my own oil & air filter changes, I used Fram. And in spite of all the bad things said about Fram on the Internet, I never had a problem or complaint with a Fram. However, I know things change and for the last 10 years, I've been back in town and letting the dealer do my oil changes.
    Bird

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Until recently, I have been using all Fleetguard filters on my goat... have been trying to find a Caterpillar filter part # to replace the Fleetguard oil filter.. Will start using the Baldwin fuel filter when I get the Cat secondary filter head installed.
    Kubota L4400 GST

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

It's hard to know who or what to believe anymore on filters. I have used K&N filters on cars/trucks, only to have them bashed by the dealer and others for a higher micron (pass rate?) than oem paper filter. Yes they allow more air in but allegedly more dirt too? Hard to believe...Equally hard to believe is that kubota would put in a manual that air filters should be allowed to get pretty dirty, as they filter "better" when dirty. Huh? Shouldn't a product meet its best spec when new? I changed the air filter on an older Kubota diesel mower, and got chewed out by my brother in law, who is pretty knowledgeable, that the "new" filter wasn't as good as what was in there. I told him he was nuts and he had the last laugh when I looked up the manual entry.

For whatever reason, probably not a good one, I have always thought oil filter quality was more critical than air. So I never bought the cheap Frams, only the Tough Guards, and then over time, moved to Mobil 1, K&N and Purolator Pure One. Like most of you, I've never had a failure either. (correction: a Wix fuel filter on an outboard motor fell apart internally when the primer bulb was used too energetically) Used Baldwin oil filters on my boat diesels and they were impressive filters.

Wix was always my go to filter when convenience counted; their possible decline in quality is not good to hear. Last time I bought the Napa equiv to Wix on an oil filter I paid fourteen bucks (for a little filter) and asked the guy if he made a mistake with the price. Nope. Well no more Napa if they are going to charge 30-40% more for nothing but convenience.

But then nothing was more expensive than a 60 dollar oem Kubota filter. I could not for the life of me figure out what was inside that filter to make it so expensive. When I got my new RTV400, its Subaru engine was so strange/unique that I ordered one complete set of filters just to be sure they'd be available. Nice to see they spec'd their normal oil filter, but some of the other filters were crazy expensive. I'd expect sixty bucks on a Komatsu dozer not my little sixteen hp one lunger.

Most of us would pay more if we were sure we were getting something, some extra performance, for more money spent. Just not sure we are and I wonder if too much of the product cost is going into paying for Super Bowl ads...

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Dave,
    Thanks for the "heads-up."
    I've never had a problem with a Fleetguard filter, but I only buy them for my semi. (Kenworth, with CAT engine) I'm pretty sure that all of my Fleetguard filters are made in USA, but I'll check.
    I use a K&N air filter on both of my 7.3 Fords, and Motorcraft oil filters.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast