Fleetguard air filter - sad to say.....

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Stopped in at the International dealer yesterday to pick up an air filter for my 7.3L .

Checked the Fleetguard air filters I just bought in the sunlight in the parking lot.

One had a 1/16" hole in the paper, right next to the mesh. Box did not appear to have been opened previously, no signs of prior handling of the filter, this 1/16" hole did not appear to be an impact puncture.

In the sunlight, you could also see other random tiny pinholes in the media. Made in China, looked like a 2008 code, something like week 40. Definitely manufacturing defects.

Other than surface rust, I've been fine with the basic Fleetguard oil filters I've used. Hopefully this was a temporary QC problem with the air filters that has now been corrected.

Returned the 2 air filters, will pick up Wix ones next week.

Not what I expected to find from Fleetguard.

Rgds, D.

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #2  
Thats not what i would expect with fleetguard as well

Brian

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #3  
Very disturbing and odds of you being the only one are pretty slim. Anyone else have recent purchases they could check?

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say.....
When I go to the Dollar Store, I don't expect high quality; and if I'm after something that I need to get something done right away, I look at it really closely before getting out of the store. I expect Buyer Beware in a Dollar Store.

Fleetguard is a name that I hope to be able to continue counting on. Any manufacturer can build a bad product. As much as I tend to be watchful of every product I buy, on another day I might not have taken a close look at these air filters.

Just wanted to toss this up here today, as these particular filters were nothing that most of us would want anywhere near our vehicles.

Caveat Emptor, never more true....

Rgds, D.

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #5  
I have been disappointed in Napa and Wix filters of late. They are one in the same. Plastic end caps and threads on a fuel filter just does not cut it for me. I traded them out for a Fram that is built much better.

Chris

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #6  
I've been using nothing but Mobile1 and K&N...been very happy..Somewhat expensive, yes...I was soured on NAPA quality 10 years ago..In fact the last NAPA store around here is gone.

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #7  
I have been disappointed in Napa and Wix filters of late. They are one in the same. Plastic end caps and threads on a fuel filter just does not cut it for me. I traded them out for a Fram that is built much better.

Chris
I have used Wix,bladwin and fleetguard for years.IMHO Fram oil filters are JUNK,don,t know much there air filters.Just my thoughts.coobie

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #8  
I purchased a 6637 air filter from riffraff diesel for my 7.3 and I think it is a Baldwin filter, I just checked the spare one that is the same brand with a flashlight and cannot find any pinholes. I would not expect quality control like that from Fleetguard, but then again...it could have been the first one made on a Monday morning or the last one made on a Friday evening.

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say.....
Junk made anywhere is a hot-button for me, but esp. so for junk made in China/PRC.

I've always preferred to use the better brands of parts, partly because they usually have better Quality Control than the off-brands. At least they used to.

I'm hoping that this is was just a single batch of bad filter media, that did not get caught in time at the factory. But yes, I'm still a bit shocked at finding this in a Fleetguard product.

D.

/ Fleetguard air filter - sad to say..... #10  
coobie said:
I have used Wix,bladwin and fleetguard for years.IMHO Fram oil filters are JUNK,don,t know much there air filters.Just my thoughts.coobie

I maintain about 75 engines in marine applications, farm equipment, small engines, and autos. It works out to about 100 oil changes per year. We use Fram, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Ace, K&N, Bosch, and a few other brands of filters. My far more Frams then anything for over 20 years. Not a single filter or oil failure.

Chris