howes or power service

/ howes or power service #41  
Sure, but I consistently use nothing and have no problem on any of our 5 diesels. ... 100 times better than that would be difficult to notice. :confused3:
larry

You are in Virginia, so you wont notice the benefits as well as us northern folk.

Do want to visit your beautiful state some day soon.

/ howes or power service #42  
WilliamBos said:
You are in Virginia, so you wont notice the benefits as well as northern folk.

Do want to visityour beautiful state some day soon.

I'm about as south in Virginia as you can get, I can be in Tennessee in ten minutes. I still have had fuel gel up, not often but it has happened. I always use something. If not for gelling for the added lubrication.

I think he is taking a calculated risk.

/ howes or power service #43  
I'm about as south in Virginia as you can get, I can be in Tennessee in ten minutes. I still have had fuel gel up, not often but it has happened. I always use something. If not for gelling for the added lubrication.

I think he is taking a calculated risk.
We run it year round also. This fuel is killer dry.

/ howes or power service #44  
WilliamBos said:

I see it as cheap insurance. Both on the older equipment that was built to run on the "good stuff" instead of this watered down junk and the newer equipment that seams to be more finicky about fuel contaminates.

/ howes or power service
are either of these (or both) an algaecide? I am putting together a 50 gallon transfer tank/ pump and I use the white PS as of now but after reading this thread maybe will switch to howes. It isn't as easy to find, but not too hard. Anyway the 50 gallon tank may last me 6 months to a year and was concerned about algae. So is one better than another, or do I need to add something else as well?

the only biocide i've ever been able to find locally is the power service biocide.

I will give it this. it knocked out and cleaned up our bulk tank at work that was pretty heavilly infested with mblack gunk.

took a heavy treatment and a couple floowups, and a few filter changes.. but it did work.. smells nasty though!

/ howes or power service

i try to run something with lube addatives as well.

all my dieseles are now 13 + ys old. IE.. not designed for ULSD.. and heck.. most of them are inthe 40-44 year range.. :)

/ howes or power service #47  
There's nothing wrong with Power Service I have used it for years and no issues up here in the Great Northeast. Now it could be I'm lucky or it does it's job? Howe's seems to work well too because I never seem to see 18 wheelers with gelled fuel issues on side of road.(@ least not around her).As said previously I just purchased a bottle of Howe's and will give it a go this winter but I suspect it also will work just fine.
DevilDog

/ howes or power service #48  
I don't use much additive in the Ford truck. I have put in some PS when the temps went into the teens but that is an exception. I would guess I have added PS to the truck less than six times.

For the tractor, I use an additive because the fuel can sit for months. I have used white and grey PS as well as JD conditioner. I have never had a fuel related problem in either the Ford or the tractor. The tractor is 12 years old and the truck is 11.

In my old Chevy diesel, I don't think I ever used a conditioner either. If I did use some, I only did it once or twice. Now, that truck was a POS, but that had nothing to do with the a fuel additive.

Later,
Dan

/ howes or power service #49  
I used to use Power Service still I did a UOA. No more; so, in the last 6+ years I have not used anothing (but tcw3) in my diesel engines and no issues....

High temp in MA was over 105 F and low was -17F and no issues..

/ howes or power service #50  
PS for me. It is available, I have used it for years with no issues in 5 different diesels, and I have seen no reason to discontinue.