Need to change low mileage synthetic oil?

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
I've been told by those that certainly know a lot more about oil than I do that my 86 F250 should have the oil changed about every 6 months even though I probably don't exceed even 1k miles per year. I kinda understand this due to (I think) loss in viscosity in aged dino oil, but I also have a Jimmy that sees fairly low miles too. Difference being I run synthetic(Castrol) in that. Is the "shelf life" for synthetic different/longer than dino oil?

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #2  
IMHO, synthetic just lets you go longer between changes.

I have a 97 Dodge Diesel, and it gets about 4k miles per year towing the RV, boat and a few general truck chores.
It gets a fresh change of 15-40 Shell Rotella every fall before it gets cold same as my tractor which gets about 50hrs per year.

I used to run synthetic in our 5.0L V8 powered boat but its getting Rotella now too, and its still clear when I change it each fall.
Some might change these sooner but that's what I do.

Also, if your 86 F250 has any leaks at all I would stay away from synthetic or they will probably get worse.
Just my experience.

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #3  
No matter what oil it should be changed once a year no matter how few miles. Its the acids that build and collect that do the damage.

To me synthetics are a waist of money in this application. Fresh clean oil is cheap insurance.

Chris

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #4  
i'd also reccomend at least a yearly change, syn or not.

if it's a gasser, and you like running syn.. but are ultra low milage.. use a cheap syn like the walmart syn.

costs as much as premium dino oil.. and you get the syn benefits.

even if it's add package wears out faster than name brand syn.. you would be NO WHERE near touching that.. :)

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil?
I have always run dino in the Ford and always will. I did recently give the Wal Mart brand sun a try for the same reasons as stated. Annual oil in the Jimmy and semi annual in the truck it will be then. Thanx.

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #7  
probablty cost 3/4 or more.. maybee ALL as much as the oil change.. and then you know it's good... :)

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #8  
I put about 2,000 miles a year on my current 3/4 ton pickup and I change the synthetic oil out every 3-4 years. Never had a problem and I've been doing this since 1985 on different vehicles. As long as your not making a lot of short trips in very cold, damp weather and not letting the oil get hot enough to boil off any condensation you will be fine. When I do run mine, I use them for at least 30 minutes of continuous running. It really depends on how you use the vehicle.

Run a oil sample thru a lab and then you will know for sure if what you are doing is working for you. Changing oil blindly every X months can really be a waste of time, money and resources.

DEWFPO

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #9  
The only way you can really know is to get the oil tested.

I have been running synthetic in the truck and tractor for years and testing the oil. The oil in the truck will be changed out in a year due to use. The tractor has gone at least two years and the test said I threw away perfectly good oil. The only way you will know is to test.

The cheapest thing to do is to use the cheapest oil that meets the engine requirements and change per the manual. I like know what is happening in the engine so I test the oil and I like to use synthetics for a variety of reasons. Testing and using synthetics cost me a bit more, maybe, but I run longer on the oil.

I have only had three oil samples that were iffy. Two samples, one in the truck and one in the tractor, showed a bit of fuel. Nothing bad but the fuel should not have been there. Why? I was running the RPMs a bit too low on the tractor. I seldom mow and thus I don't use RPM speed but a few times a year. A the time I was running 1500-1600 RPMs just doing this and that on the tractor. After the sample, I pushed up the RPMs to 1800-2000 and no more fuel in the oil. The sample in the truck was because of getting in quite a bit of stop and go traffic. I would spend maybe 15 minutes stuck in traffic out of a 60 minute trip but that was enough to let in the fuel. Thankfully I was able to avoid that route otherwise I would have had to change out the oil sooner.

The last truck sample had a more wear than usual. Not an amount that is immediately alarming but something to watch. I think it was because I let the oil get a bit low but time will tell. Without testing I would not know.

Later,
Dan

/ Need to change low mileage synthetic oil? #10  
No matter what oil it should be changed once a year no matter how few miles. Its the acids that build and collect that do the damage.

To me synthetics are a waist of money in this application. Fresh clean oil is cheap insurance.

Chris

iI AGREE WITH THIS FELLA. SYNTHETIC IS A WASTE OF MONEY. SYNTHETIC OIL WILL ALSO BRING YOU SOME NICE OIL LEAKS AS WELL. IT FINDS ITS WAY THROUGH SEALS. IF YOU HAVENT HAD THIS HAPPENED TO YOU PERSONALLY. GOOGLE IT.