Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Default Need to change low mileage synthetic oil?

I've been told by those that certainly know a lot more about oil than I do that my 86 F250 should have the oil changed about every 6 months even though I probably don't exceed even 1k miles per year. I kinda understand this due to (I think) loss in viscosity in aged dino oil, but I also have a Jimmy that sees fairly low miles too. Difference being I run synthetic(Castrol) in that. Is the "shelf life" for synthetic different/longer than dino oil?
    If diamonds are a woman's best friend then why does man's best friend like to drink from the toilet??

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200-GST 4WD

Default Re: Need to change low mileage synthetic oil?

IMHO, synthetic just lets you go longer between changes.

I have a 97 Dodge Diesel, and it gets about 4k miles per year towing the RV, boat and a few general truck chores.
    It gets a fresh change of 15-40 Shell Rotella every fall before it gets cold same as my tractor which gets about 50hrs per year.

I used to run synthetic in our 5.0L V8 powered boat but its getting Rotella now too, and its still clear when I change it each fall.
    Some might change these sooner but that's what I do.

Also, if your 86 F250 has any leaks at all I would stay away from synthetic or they will probably get worse.
    Just my experience.
    Kubota L4200-GST 4WD, LA680 FEL, 6' Mower, 6' Box Blade, 7' Angle Blade, 12kw 3pt PTO Generator

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

No matter what oil it should be changed once a year no matter how few miles. Its the acids that build and collect that do the damage.

To me synthetics are a waist of money in this application. Fresh clean oil is cheap insurance.

Chris

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i'd also reccomend at least a yearly change, syn or not.

if it's a gasser, and you like running syn.. but are ultra low milage.. use a cheap syn like the walmart syn.

costs as much as premium dino oil.. and you get the syn benefits.

even if it's add package wears out faster than name brand syn.. you would be NO WHERE near touching that..

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I have always run dino in the Ford and always will. I did recently give the Wal Mart brand sun a try for the same reasons as stated. Annual oil in the Jimmy and semi annual in the truck it will be then. Thanx.
    If diamonds are a woman's best friend then why does man's best friend like to drink from the toilet??

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Have a sample analyzed, Blackstone Labs.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

probablty cost 3/4 or more.. maybee ALL as much as the oil change.. and then you know it's good...

I put about 2,000 miles a year on my current 3/4 ton pickup and I change the synthetic oil out every 3-4 years. Never had a problem and I've been doing this since 1985 on different vehicles. As long as your not making a lot of short trips in very cold, damp weather and not letting the oil get hot enough to boil off any condensation you will be fine. When I do run mine, I use them for at least 30 minutes of continuous running. It really depends on how you use the vehicle.

Run a oil sample thru a lab and then you will know for sure if what you are doing is working for you. Changing oil blindly every X months can really be a waste of time, money and resources.

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

The only way you can really know is to get the oil tested.

I have been running synthetic in the truck and tractor for years and testing the oil. The oil in the truck will be changed out in a year due to use. The tractor has gone at least two years and the test said I threw away perfectly good oil. The only way you will know is to test.

The cheapest thing to do is to use the cheapest oil that meets the engine requirements and change per the manual. I like know what is happening in the engine so I test the oil and I like to use synthetics for a variety of reasons. Testing and using synthetics cost me a bit more, maybe, but I run longer on the oil.

I have only had three oil samples that were iffy. Two samples, one in the truck and one in the tractor, showed a bit of fuel. Nothing bad but the fuel should not have been there. Why? I was running the RPMs a bit too low on the tractor. I seldom mow and thus I don't use RPM speed but a few times a year. A the time I was running 1500-1600 RPMs just doing this and that on the tractor. After the sample, I pushed up the RPMs to 1800-2000 and no more fuel in the oil. The sample in the truck was because of getting in quite a bit of stop and go traffic. I would spend maybe 15 minutes stuck in traffic out of a 60 minute trip but that was enough to let in the fuel. Thankfully I was able to avoid that route otherwise I would have had to change out the oil sooner.

The last truck sample had a more wear than usual. Not an amount that is immediately alarming but something to watch. I think it was because I let the oil get a bit low but time will tell. Without testing I would not know.

Later,
    Dan

Banned
    Tractor
    deere,kubota,case,sears,new holland, Mf

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    No matter what oil it should be changed once a year no matter how few miles. Its the acids that build and collect that do the damage.

To me synthetics are a waist of money in this application. Fresh clean oil is cheap insurance.

Chris

iI AGREE WITH THIS FELLA. SYNTHETIC IS A WASTE OF MONEY. SYNTHETIC OIL WILL ALSO BRING YOU SOME NICE OIL LEAKS AS WELL. IT FINDS ITS WAY THROUGH SEALS. IF YOU HAVENT HAD THIS HAPPENED TO YOU PERSONALLY. GOOGLE IT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast