Even new oil should be filtered

/ Even new oil should be filtered #1  

seacap04

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL
This picture is the bottom of a 1 gal container of new hydraulic oil I just emptied. I needed a shallow container to fit under a filter I was changing so I cut the bottom off the oil jug. I was surprized at the sludge on the bottom of the container. I run anything 5 gals and over through a filter before I use it. Now I guess smaller containers will also be filtered.

Attachments

• 389.jpg
    389.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 488
   / Even new oil should be filtered #2  
What's your system of running it through a filter before putting in the machine?
Pics if you can too

/ Even new oil should be filtered
I am going to have to make a small new one. I had a large commercial unit, jabsco pump and 2 large 10 micron canister filters. It was on a boat I just sold. I am hoping my days of changing a couple hundred gallons of oil at a time are over. I plan to to get a small jabsco type pump and a 10 micron canister filter. I'll mount pump and filter up high on a cheap dolly. I'll have room for a 5 gal bucket on the dolly platform. I'll just start buying 5 gal bucket of oil and pump them through the filter as I use them.

/ Even new oil should be filtered #4  
That's probably "additive fallout" you're seeing. Try heating it (in the oil it's in) up and see if it dissolves.

/ Even new oil should be filtered #5  
Yea, I have been telling people this for years, [and getting flamed on here a few times also]. Most new oils are not filtered unless they are the high hour and high $$$ oils. You want something really scary look in the bottom of a barrel of 2000 hour oil. Dirt, specs of metal and some sort of fiber were all in the mix. Companys will literally spend 10's of thousands of dollars on Hydrostatic systems but some are too cheap to filter the oil that they are putting in, even if you prove to them it is dirty. Schramm water well rigs now have a filtered transfer pump for adding hydraulic oil to their systems because of dirt I would imagine??? I have had a few completely new Hydrostatic systems shut down within a week because of a dirty charge filter, I attribute at least some of them to dirty new oil all the systems we build are cleaned out including the hoses. The only variable is the oil. All of our tranfer pumps have 10 micron filters and the filter carts I build have a 10 and a 3 micron on them. CJ

/ Even new oil should be filtered #6  
I agree on filtering your oils but I always thought the 55 gal drums were the worst offenders.....using out of smaller containers should not look like that.........I'd be buying another brand next time

I buy 5gal pails (24 count) of hyd oil from a supplier with white pails and If I saw anything like that I'd sent them all back (which I have at a previous supplier)

Fortunately the white shows contamination better, it's buyer beware senario

/ Even new oil should be filtered #7  
wow...who knew...and I always tip the bottle to get the last drops:confused3:

/ Even new oil should be filtered #8  
That's probably "additive fallout" you're seeing. Try heating it (in the oil it's in) up and see if it dissolves.

I agree, that's normal. I shake up the oil and it will go back into suspension. That happens when the oil sits on the shelf for a while. No worries.

I always shake my oil before adding it, if you don't you run risk of leaving some of the additives in the very bottom of the bottle.

DEWFPO

/ Even new oil should be filtered #9  
Really??....Normal??

I never heard of additives being solids that show in the bottom of an oil bucket....:confused3:

I still think it's contaminates that used the best filter of all......GRAVITY

Shaking it up just helps you to introduce more contaminates (or your word "additives") in your hyd system....No Thanx, Not for me

/ Even new oil should be filtered #10  
Really??....Normal??

I never heard of additives being solids that show in the bottom of an oil bucket....:confused3:

I still think it's contaminates that used the best filter of all......GRAVITY

Shaking it up just helps you to introduce more contaminates (or your word "additives") in your hyd system....No Thanx, Not for me

New oil is filtered when you fire the engine which should be sufficient. All oil in the engine travels thru the oil filter before it reaches any engine parts.

IMO if you find sediment in the bottom then you are using low quality product and or the producer or bulk private label bottler has poor quality control, i.e. not cleaning containers, not testing or filtering incoming bulk product or has a dirty bottling plant. All those things cost money and to sell cheap they cut costs. The risk you take buying low priced anything.

Reminds me of a restuarant we occasionally ate at when working on GPS Surveys in this one area. They had pretty good food. One day as we in the parking lot leaving, one of the guys spotted a Pepsi driver he knew and we started to bs with him. He asked, "you guys really eat here?" Sure, good food and reasonable. He went on to say, "I never would, the kitchen is the worst I ever seen, a dump". We never went back.