Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830

Default Re: Kerosene in tractor

Back in the day kerosene/no. 1 diesel was the preferred fuel for large, stationary diesel generator sets, say from 50KW to 1500KW. These sets may have large fuel tanks that hold up to thousands of gallons. The thinking was that for long term storage of possibly several years with only periodic maintenance runs, the kerosene/no.1 diesel would hold up better and have less algae.

However, in recent years some of the major engine manufacturers have made noises that they would not honor the engines' warranty if anything but no.2 diesel were used. Check your owner's manual.

As for me, I buy no. 2 road diesel 5 gallons at a time. I like to find a pump station where I can get both gas and diesel at the same pump station. I find the off-road diesel pump stations are outback and inconvenient or some guy with a 500 gallon tank is in line ahead of me.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Is there no savings on off road diesel down there? Up here, it is well worth the wait. Just go to a high volume station.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
    Back in the day kerosene/no. 1 diesel was the preferred fuel for large, stationary diesel generator sets, say from 50KW to 1500KW. These sets may have large fuel tanks that hold up to thousands of gallons. The thinking was that for long term storage of possibly several years with only periodic maintenance runs, the kerosene/no.1 diesel would hold up better and have less algae.

However, in recent years some of the major engine manufacturers have made noises that they would not honor the engines' warranty if anything but no.2 diesel were used. Check your owner's manual.

As for me, I buy no. 2 road diesel 5 gallons at a time. I like to find a pump station where I can get both gas and diesel at the same pump station. I find the off-road diesel pump stations are outback and inconvenient or some guy with a 500 gallon tank is in line ahead of me.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

What kind of engine? Can't see your application from here.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by V1Rotate View Post
    At the local airport they run all the diesel powered equipment, including a large bucket loader, on jet fuel.
    We did this this when I was stationed in Rota Spain. I had an old diesel gen set at the place I rented off base and I ran OK on Jet Fuel. Adding the 2 cycle lube sounds like a good idea if running with kerosene in a pinch but as noted diesel is preferred and cheaper. There is a difference in 40 year old diesel engine fuel requirements vs 2013 diesel engines I am sure so I would be careful with the new stuff IF I owned any.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

If you are worried about pump lubrication. Add 1% soybean oil.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    McCormick CT28

i think my manual reccomends adding a % of it based on the temp.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i think florida may have just got winter mix diesel.

filled up a bunch of work trucks today at the same pump we normally use for onroad.. and it 'smells' different.. quite different.. lighter odor.

they still blend #1 and #2?

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by V1Rotate View Post
    At the local airport they run all the diesel powered equipment, including a large bucket loader, on jet fuel.
    I'd bet you never have to clean the injectors on the diesel equipment. The fuel may also have good anti-icing since Prist or something similar is probably present. It's a win-win with 'no bugs & no icing.' How does jet fuel compare in price since there are no road taxes?
    Jim

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 29D

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I'd bet you never have to clean the injectors on the diesel equipment. The fuel may also have good anti-icing since Prist or something similar is probably present. It's a win-win with 'no bugs & no icing.' How does jet fuel compare in price since there are no road taxes?

Jet fuel can be very expensive to the retail buyers, it usually sells for between six and seven dollars a gallon but there is a huge mark up. I think the airport owners buy it for less than diesel fuel would cost.
    You are right about jet fuel being very clean, it gets filtered multiple times before it gets dispensed from the truck. "Prist" is an additive that makes any water born contamination settle out of solution so it will sink to the bottom of the tanks where it can be drained off by using the sump drains.
    TC-29DA
    BX-1500

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

DEGMME mmm.. good stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12