How do you do an oil analysis?

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Couple dumb questions so excuse in advance.
In doing an oil sample, do you have to drain all the oil in order to get the sample or do you just try to catch some? Where do you get the container for the sample and how much does analysis cost? What do you learn from it and what do you do after you learn whatever it is that is learned? Do unexpected results occur very often? Who does oil samples?

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #2  
I think that if there is a filter, you can cut open the filter and look for metal shavings. Look online for oil analysis outfits (they deal by mail/ups).

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #3  
You can get kits through most Auto Parts stores. The kit will include the sample bottle and instructions of how best to take the sample, and shipping package. Most kits will ask for an email address or fax number to send the results to. Analysis is usually compelete within 24 hrs. after they receive it.

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #4  
The way we have done it in the past was to drop a small hose in the dipstick tube and suck some out.

That said its a not worth the hassle to me anymore. It cost about $25 for the sample and you really need to do 4 spread over a years time to get a good baseline. If I had a $1,000,000 aircraft engine as I do on my work ride then it makes sense but for cars, trucks, and small stuff like tractors, boats, ect it does not. Just change by the specified interval or in a low use item change it once a year.

Chris

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #5  
Because of my vehicles, my driving patterns and the high cost of synthetic oil I've resumed using Blackstone.

The analysis costs $25.

I've used the "suck it out of the dipstick" method, I prefer just catching a sample when it drains. To me it's a "piece of mind" thing.

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #6  
Ditto on using Blackstone. Blackstone Labs
They will send you the kit for free and you pay when you send in the sample.
I try to catch the sample after about half of the oil has drained. The results are very informative, especially if you opt for the extra TBN report which tells you how much "life" was still left on your oil. Great for extending oil changes.

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #7  
I use Oil analyzers. I will run the oil xx miles, change the oil and send in the sample.I do this several times and get an idea of how many miles I can drive between changes. I pay about $25.00. includes TBN results

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #8  
Whatever you use, make sure the oil is up to operating temp and has been run for a while to make sure you are not taking a sample on stuff that has settled out or vice versa. I have a petcock drain (Fumoto drain valve) on all of my stuff. When I drop the oil, I can let some run and then control the flow to fill a bottle. Amsoil has a nice little pump that you can take a sample thru the dipstick tube with some hose provided. I have used Stavely and Oil Analyzers off and on. For a real quick analysis, go to a major truckstop shop and they usually have onsite testing. I know that the Speedco chain of truck stop lube shops will do one onsite in a few minutes for $19.25.

/ How do you do an oil analysis? #9  
I have a petcock drain (Fumoto drain valve) on all of my stuff. .

I don't hve 1 on all my vehicles ,but I have 1 on my truck. I like this valve