Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Penetrating Oils....best and home made...

My cousin sent me this email....about penetrating oils....looks like the best one is homemade... Just passing it on fyi

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

Below listed, a subjective test was made of all the popular penetrates, with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Average torque load to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF - Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in

this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.

ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. (ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid)
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Default Re: Penetrating Oils....best and home made...

Sounds like a good deal.
    has anyone tried it???
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

I use diesel/2 stroke oil 50/50, seems to work as well as anything I have bought and always have it available. Also works pretty as a protectant.

I would think the acetone would evaporate really fast leaving just the atf but maybe that is the point??
    Rick

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 68, Honda H3011H

I've used the ATF/acetone mix and it worked better than any commercial penetrating oil for me. The only caution is that the acetone might attack whatever plastic spray bottle you use for the mixture. The one I have it is is now quite deformed.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

I use an ATF solvent mix , I put it in a spray bottle but, when I need to get to an area difficult to get at I have air nozzles with 1/4 inch copper tubing on them I fill the nozzle and tube then connect it to the air line, and am able to get into places not accessible with a spray bottle.
    The mix has to sit for a while, and the solvent will evaporate drawing the ATF in.
    I also use liquid wrench, When I assemble I use a mix of ATF, synthetic gear oil, and Never size, 1/3 of each. That cuts down greatly on the corrosion, between items that you will take apart later.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey

Acetone with ATF should eat paint like a beaver eating bark. That's probably why the commecial brews don't use it. Think of all the PO'd customers that would have unintended dameged paint from every drip,drop, and overspray.
    Last edited by DarkBlack; 11-21-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

I save all the used oil /tranny fluid / gear oil / old gasoline from the chainsaws and weedeaters ,lawntractor when stored for the season /and any other petro products I dump them in a 30 gallon steel barrel and i have a stainless basket that I hang in the mix , works great ! and it's better than tossing it ! just keep it away from the house and barn .

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

The ATF/acetone mix has had much exposure over on Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk which is a mainstream AG discussion forum. Longtime member Jon Hagen from North Dakota was the first to post the recipe and his successes with the mix. It is widely called "Hagen's Brew" over there.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

while I believe that the results from the atf/ acetone mix would be good, I have a problem with a test that places liquid wrench that high above pb blaster. I have never really had any luck with anything but pb, but it could also have to do with the heat-spray-heat-spray method that I use. I will have to try the "homebrew" mixture... sound like a good idea. I wonder if it matters what type of atf you use?

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

I use heat too, thats why I am not so sure about acetone, pretty flammable stuff.(I know all of that stuff is flammable but acetone is really hot)
    Rick

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast