old hydraulic fluid- What to do?

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #11  
I just pour mine into the land rover and mix with the diesel, goes very well on it but need to drain the fuel filter now and then as it seems to carry a little water.

Just check that you can use it if you have a newer vehicle.
Mine is just a mechanical pump and injectors so ok, old tractors run great on it as well

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #12  
We have 55 gal. barrels for used motor and hydraulic fluid at the town recycling shed. People take all they can get for waste oil furnaces.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do?
Think I found my answer. A guy up the road from me runs his bio-diesel equipment on old motor oil, vegtable oil, and assorted other stuff. Said he would take the old oil. Gets most of his supply of cooking oils from local restaurants for pennies. He has a centrifuge that removes impurities down to below the 5 micron level. Really simple system - a big tank that he dumps it all into with a heater and pump that pushes it thru a filter and the centrifuge. Takes about 3 hours to process 100 gallons. I'm told he has been doing this for about 10 years and runs both of his Mercedes cars off it in the summer. In the winter he mixes regular diesel with it to prevent it getting too thick. He has also put fuel line heaters on his vehicles. Told me the whole system cost less than $1000 to build. At the price of diesel I guess it would be worth it if you can get the raw oils for next to nothing. I am not sure I would want to burn the stuff in my tractor as a fuel but a smaller system might be useful to re-condition/clean the hydraulic fluid so as to be able to reuse it. Don't know enough about it to know if this is a good idea but might want to do some research into it.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #14  
I'm getting some ideas here. Can I just dump my used motor oil into my 500 gallon heating oil tank? Sounds like it.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #15  
I filter through a microfibre sock which is very fine, I put old sump oil and hydraulic oil etc through and then dump it in with the diesel.
Ran my previous diesel land rover on this mix for a year before I sold it, no problems.

I buy sunflower oil and rapeseed oil when I can get it cheaper than diesel and mix that in as well.

With diesel at 1.40 a litre over here, thats over 10 dollars a gallon, it's the cheapest way of staying on the road, I couldn't afford to run on pure diesel.

I keep the mix around 50/50 in the cold weather but in summer it will run on pure sump oil if I have to.

The Dexta will run on it no problem as will the little Ford 1200 but they have no electronics to moniter the fuel, a modern diesel would shut down if 'dark' diesel was detected

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #16  
We run a few of our older tractors & trucks on a 30/70 mix of screened/filtered waste (hyd/engine) oil to diesel , they run fine & it doesn't seem to harm them longer term as some have been running on this 15yrs+, save money & all the hassle of waste oil disposal.

We also burn some for heating in the shed on ahome built oil burner

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #17  
Just like to add.....

A TV programme called TOP GEAR which is a motoring prgramme over here (think there's a US version) ran an article on used cooking oil. They drained the fuel tank on a 90's Diesel Volvo car , then they took used cooking oil from a fast food frier, filtered it and poured it into the Volve tank. They then drove the car from coast to coast without a problem, the car ran beautifuly and never missed a beat.

The oil was straight from the frier with no additives so proof that it does do the job, the exhaust might smell of fries or fish but hey...its cheap :)

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #18  
Well, heck, I don't have a Mercedes, but I do have a little three-cylinder diesel tractor. Seems like I could take the oil out of the back and pour it into the fuel tank. Too bad I just got done doing my 50-hour and took all but a gallon of it back to the dealer for disposal.

Me, I keep a gallon of used oil around for various and sundry, such as lubricating drill bits, but other than that, I take it all to the hazardous waste disposal place or my dealer.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #19  
Use it in the spring to control weeds and brush. I personally give mine to my buddy so he can burn it in his shop heater

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #20  
Recycle