Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    John Deere 955 With 70a Loader and 7 backhoe, John Deere 110 Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Face
    Use it in the spring to control weeds and brush. I personally give mine to my buddy so he can burn it in his shop heater
    My neighbor has an oil change place and heats his house and barn with used oil. He doesn't have a very good system, there is always a black cloud around his ranch house. But he uses it for weed control on the river levee and a 5 acre piece that his son races motorcycles on and there isn't a weed to be found. It kinda smells like oil all the time around there. It sticks under the fender of my motorcycle too but washes off pretty fast. Guess we won't have to worry about rust!

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by burnieman

My neighbor has an oil change place and heats his house and barn with used oil. He doesn't have a very good system, there is always a black cloud around his ranch house. But he uses it for weed control on the river levee and a 5 acre piece that his son races motorcycles on and there isn't a weed to be found. It kinda smells like oil all the time around there. It sticks under the fender of my motorcycle too but washes off pretty fast. Guess we won't have to worry about rust!
    This is a issue. Also, there is about $.75 per gallon to be had for large quantities of used oil. He would be much better off to sell the oil and buy natural gas.

I have looked into it but the guys around here are not interested in anything less than 500 gallons. I do about 100 oil changes per year and I just recycle. Not worth the hassel.

Chris

Tractor
    TYM T293

Default Re: old hydraulic fluid- What to do?

As other said ... I recycle it too. In NJ, all vehicle repair places must accept all oils free by law. Antifreeze too. They always tell me not to mix them. Who would do that? I guess it's NJ, some people would.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

hmm.. i wonder if it burns ok in an oil lamp? now that might be worthwhile saving 5-10g of clean looking hyd oil... store in a couple pails.. good for when the lights go out. i have 4 working lanterns in the barn. I used to use them at night when mucking the barn / horse stalls. under about 68 degrees, flies don't fly.. they just set still.. so much easier to clean the stalls at night always did it by lantern.. the flickery light was soothing...

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by tkappeler View Post
    As other said ... I recycle it too. In NJ, all vehicle repair places must accept all oils free by law. Antifreeze too. They always tell me not to mix them. Who would do that? I guess it's NJ, some people would.
    some places here accept oil but not af, nad won't take brake fluid.. so you get some jokers that will mix the brake fluid or af into the oil then turn it in..

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

If you have any large quantities, the going rate is between 50 cents a gallon to 1.25 a gallon. From there, depending on the quality of it, it will either be re-refined, or used as bunker fuel.

If you run newer diesels, do not blend it in with the fuel.

If you run pre-03 diesels, then you can blend it in with fuel (Not recommended, still) but it really won't hurt anything.

The other choices? Bar oil (mix it with gear oil), burning it (waste oil burner or fire starter).
    ~Fox
    Tractors: JD 2305 w/ MMM & 200CX, NH TN60A w/ 32LA loader, NH Boomer 2420, IH 806 Turbo (Restored, 1964), IH Super C (Restored(1952), MF 240S, Kubota B7500

Attachments... too many!

Equipment - JD 317, CAT 262, CAT 315BL, JD 50ZTS, Cat 301.5, Cat 910, CAT 416C IT w/ EHOE, IH TD7E, IH T6(Restored w/ BE Blade package, 1948 w/ 1952 blade), CAT D4 7U, CAT D4D, CAT D6B, CAT 12f

Tractor
    Ford 1200 / Super Dexta x 2

Old oil is useful for painting on ploughs before storing for the winter, its good for painting on your chassis or under the car to stop corrosion. I would burn hydraulic oil in the tractors and my Land Rover if I could get enough of it. power stations use very thin oil for something or other, its just like diesel, also there is a factory near me that pays to have its oil cooling oil taken away, its also very thin like diesel. they wont let me take a few barrels I have to take it all or nothing and I cant handle big quantities.

Recycle ??? certainly will, in my fuel tank
    .Pete

Tractor
    Kubota L4330 w/FEL, Kubota RTV900, Kubota ZD326S

Banned
    Tractor
    deere,kubota,case,sears,new holland, Mf

I donated some to the local church few years back so they could use it in there giant deep frier. They fried up boat loads of crawfish for the town folk. They didnt even know the crawdads were cooked in hydro fluid

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

During winter will cut bar oil with hydro fluid for 50/50 mix at $7.99 gallon for bar oil it helps instead of just tossing it, oh yeah some of the logging processors use hydraulic fluid for bar lube instead of having a dedicated bar oil supply system but Oregon Cutting Systems does not recommend the practice

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123