old hydraulic fluid- What to do?

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #1  

caps

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC26DA
I am about to change the hydraulic oil in my tractor and will end up with about 6 gal of used
oil after changing it out. The question is what do I do with the old oil. Is it good for anything useful? Or do I just have to take to the dump recycling place. Seems like a waste to just have to dump it.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #2  
unless you got a waste oil burner.. recycle it.

I usually keep a coffee can full of hyd oil to put rusty tools in and such.. but 90% of it goes to the recycle palce..

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #4  
Burn it or recycle it, that's about it.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #5  
Recycle, where I live they have a separate place at the county where you take hyd oil. I have 10 gallons myself ready to go.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #6  
I store at least 5 gallons of used stuff after I strain it for " emergency " use. Especially if it is going to leak out again. Better to leak out old stuff getting the tractor back in the garage than a $45 pail of new stuff. Swap out older pails for newer ones as I change the oil. I like to change mine yearly. Blew a line on Christmas eve once plowing snow, got 2 foot overnight. Was able to repair the line, but no place was open to buy oil. Sure was glad I was able to plow the drive. Drained and refilled a few days later. As I swap it out I save a little to burn brush and recycle the rest.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #7  
Hydraulic fluid is good to help burn brush pile? I had no idea, gotta try it.

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #8  
Just recycle it.

Chris

/ old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #9  
A guy with a waste oil stove down the road gives me 50 cents a gallon for mine. Before him I recycled it.

Last edited:
   / old hydraulic fluid- What to do? #10  
I'm extremely careful about keeping it, and the drain pails clean. I've a friend with a bunch of old FarmAll ag tractors that leak(some of them badly). He uses it to top off his tractors