Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Default brake cleaner

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of non-chlorinate brake cleaner?

I usually buy crc "brakleen" and it comes in both varieties. I buy the regular stuff because it is cheaper, but I imagine that there is an advantage to the non-chlorinated stuff because it costs more. I have noticed that some brake cleaners leave a residue, but haven't paid attention to which ones they are though. What do you guys use and why?

Veteran Member

The non clor. stuff won't make poison phosgene gas if there is any welding being done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosgen...ous_occurrence
    Dan H.

Tractor
    Kioti DS3510

Default Re: brake cleaner

DO NOT WELD THE CHLORINATED ONE!!!!
    http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Other than that, I beleive they made the non chlorinated for California and other nanny states, but not sure if it works better.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D

I bought the non-chlorinated one time because they were out of the regular. It didn't work as well as I would've liked, can't remember exactly why buy I'd guess it didn't evaporate as quickly or degrease as well. I've read before never to weld after using the stuff so I don't....sounds pretty nasty.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

you know, now that you mention it... I have heard about the welding issue. I remember reading story about a guy that did (maybe posted on here) and he ended up dying from it- or maybe nearly died. I was not aware, however, that the non-chlorinated stuff eliminated (or lessened) that risk. Good to know.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    you know, now that you mention it... I have heard about the welding issue. I remember reading story about a guy that did (maybe posted on here) and he ended up dying from it- or maybe nearly died. I was not aware, however, that the non-chlorinated stuff eliminated (or lessened) that risk. Good to know.
    It eliminates the risk entirely, since it is the Chlorine that is the issue.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

how long does the 'residue really stick around. I gott asay.. at work we buy the 3m cleaner by the case.. and we do lots of welding.

I mean.. no welding while it is still wet and puddled.. but after dry.. and well... none of our guys have kicked off yet.

methinks there must be a pretty fast half life. IE.. spray grease off a metal surface.. let it air dry till dry.. and then?

either that.. or all those 10,000 times we got lucky..

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

maybe you have better ventilation/ circulation in your shop vs. what some people do.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

just what god provides... ( wind ).. etc..

that's why i'm wondering if it isn't something that flashes off. and when dry is not a problem.

i know i've cleaned tons of stuff with spray brake cleaner.. then torched and welded on it.. but i never cut or weld on metal that still has solvent on it. to easy to start a fire.

i'm just wondering that once the solvent flashes off.. .. perhaps the dangerous stufff does too? and thos elimited posts of those who got sick.. must have hosed a puddle of the stuff then started burning wire bent right over it inhaling deeply?????

I can guarantee from personal experience that chlorinated brake cleaner leaves enough of a residue after it drys that welding on the metal you cleaned with it will produce enough fumes to make you ill if you breath them in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast