brake cleaner

/ brake cleaner #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of non-chlorinate brake cleaner?

I usually buy crc "brakleen" and it comes in both varieties. I buy the regular stuff because it is cheaper, but I imagine that there is an advantage to the non-chlorinated stuff because it costs more. I have noticed that some brake cleaners leave a residue, but haven't paid attention to which ones they are though. What do you guys use and why?

/ brake cleaner #4  
I bought the non-chlorinated one time because they were out of the regular. It didn't work as well as I would've liked, can't remember exactly why buy I'd guess it didn't evaporate as quickly or degrease as well. I've read before never to weld after using the stuff so I don't....sounds pretty nasty.

/ brake cleaner
you know, now that you mention it... I have heard about the welding issue. I remember reading story about a guy that did (maybe posted on here) and he ended up dying from it- or maybe nearly died. I was not aware, however, that the non-chlorinated stuff eliminated (or lessened) that risk. Good to know.

/ brake cleaner #6  
you know, now that you mention it... I have heard about the welding issue. I remember reading story about a guy that did (maybe posted on here) and he ended up dying from it- or maybe nearly died. I was not aware, however, that the non-chlorinated stuff eliminated (or lessened) that risk. Good to know.

It eliminates the risk entirely, since it is the Chlorine that is the issue.

/ brake cleaner #7  
how long does the 'residue really stick around. I gott asay.. at work we buy the 3m cleaner by the case.. and we do lots of welding.

I mean.. no welding while it is still wet and puddled.. but after dry.. and well... none of our guys have kicked off yet.

methinks there must be a pretty fast half life. IE.. spray grease off a metal surface.. let it air dry till dry.. and then?

either that.. or all those 10,000 times we got lucky.. :)

/ brake cleaner
maybe you have better ventilation/ circulation in your shop vs. what some people do.

/ brake cleaner #9  
just what god provides... ( wind ).. etc..

that's why i'm wondering if it isn't something that flashes off. and when dry is not a problem.

i know i've cleaned tons of stuff with spray brake cleaner.. then torched and welded on it.. but i never cut or weld on metal that still has solvent on it. to easy to start a fire.

i'm just wondering that once the solvent flashes off.. .. perhaps the dangerous stufff does too? and thos elimited posts of those who got sick.. must have hosed a puddle of the stuff then started burning wire bent right over it inhaling deeply?????

/ brake cleaner #10  
I can guarantee from personal experience that chlorinated brake cleaner leaves enough of a residue after it drys that welding on the metal you cleaned with it will produce enough fumes to make you ill if you breath them in.