Fuel Transfer Pump

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
I recently needed to replace the nozzle on my fuel transfer tank that lives in the bed of my truck. I bought the best one they had at Home Owner Supply (Tractor Supply) that fit a 3/4" hose. ~$50 It is supposed to shut off on it's own like the ones at the gas station but it doesn't. I took the first one back thinking it was faulty. Well the new one will not shut off automatically either.

It is a pretty old pump that I bought used, I have no idea how many gpm it is or even the model number. The only label is on the motor itself and says nothing about the pump.

I am now thinking the nozzle is not rated high enough for the gpm my pump puts out and this is over riding the auto shut off some how. The fuel comes out very foamy.

Anyone have any other ideas?

image-1438915295.jpg

image-4203893759.jpg

image-3011560633.jpg

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #2  
I bought a nozzle like that with the same results. It will kick off when the end of the nozzle is completely submerged in fuel, sometimes. I am not impressed.

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #3  
The foam is due to air influx to the fuel making the shutoff sensor work easier. The sensor can detect the tank being full easier with more air in it. Once it feels the resistance of the actual fuel it shuts off. the air influx just makes it more sensitive. I'm very sensitive too. But only after a few beers.

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #4  
And if that answer is correct, it's just by chance. I made the whole thing up except for the beer part!

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #5  
burnieman said:
And if that answer is correct, it's just by chance. I made the whole thing up except for the beer part!

Actually I think you are correct sir. And the beer affects everyone differently. Congrats on your sharp wit and keen mind

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #6  
we use those fill-rite and tuthill pumps in many locations. we use fueling handles from napa that auto shutoff. .. have one on each pump.. no issues.... I just rebuilt 3 of thos pumps last week...

/ Fuel Transfer Pump
Soundguy said:
we use those fill-rite and tuthill pumps in many locations. we use fueling handles from napa that auto shutoff. .. have one on each pump.. no issues.... I just rebuilt 3 of thos pumps last week...

Any theory as to why mine will not shut off?

/ Fuel Transfer Pump
dex3361 said:
I bought a nozzle like that with the same results. It will kick off when the end of the nozzle is completely submerged in fuel, sometimes. I am not impressed.

Is yours the exact same nozzle?

/ Fuel Transfer Pump #9  
   / Fuel Transfer Pump
Soundguy said:
sorry.. i havn't used the TSC handles.. can't say...

Bummer, I'm ready to throw it in the trash.