oil change time ???

/ oil change time ??? #21  
Rotella was one of the best oils I had tested through Toromont Cat's lab. Chevron Delo rated very well too, maybe even a bit better in some ares.

Also found out a couple dealers that were selling from bulk claiming it was Rotella.......turned out to be the cheaper Shell Rimula which was factory fill in my Paystar.

/ oil change time ??? #22  
Does anybody use diesel synthetic oil in your tractor. I have a massey gc2310 2005 and would like some advice. I was looking at Shell rotella THANKS, Don

Make sure you get what you think your getting....read the labels...i see a few offering "blends" of dino and synthetic.....

/ oil change time ??? #23  
Is there any problem with using 5w-40 weight synthetic oil if the manual calls for 15w-40, or 10w-30. Is the 5W side of the oil too thin?

A common misconception is that a 5w40 is "thinner" than a 15w40. They are both 40 weight oils. The first number is only the winter flow rating and NOT a weight classification, hence the "w". That "w" does not stand for "weight", it stands for "winter". Check with the American Petroleum Institute or the Society of Automotive Engineers and they will confirm this. The second number is the weight of the oil. A 5w40, or even a 0w40, will work for any application calling for a 15w40. A 5w40 will "flow" better at cold temps, but not because it is "thinner". A 40 weight molecule is a 40 weight molecule. But these molecules have irregular shapes to them. A 5w40 has more of the "irregular" shaped molucules refined out to make it more uniform and flow better. At least with the Group III synthetics. The Group IV synthetics or so-called "true" synthetics just have a more uniform structure because the irregular shapes were very limited in the original composition. But how they get there is almost irrelevant anymore. Both Group III and Group IV perform almost identical in the real world.

Get a good quality synthetic at the best price you can and enjoy life. My personal choice is Delo 400 LE 5w40 syn, primarily because I can get it right now for $19.95 a gallon. But all of the synthetics on the market will do a better job than most of us actually need.

Last edited:
   / oil change time ??? #24  
Thanks very much, Copperhead. I will be on the lookout for some synthetic 5w-40 in case I need to move some snow. I know that my Walmart carries Rotella T6, not sure if they have the Delo.

/ oil change time ??? #25  
I use rotella t6 in everything:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ
ACEA E7
Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3

-------
Shell Rotella T6
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, C4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar
ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS
M2C171-E; JASO DH2, MA; Mack EO-0 Premium Plus; MAN 3275;
MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4

/ oil change time ??? #26  
A common misconception is that a 5w40 is "thinner" than a 15w40. They are both 40 weight oils. The first number is only the winter flow rating and NOT a weight classification, hence the "w". That "w" does not stand for "weight", it stands for "winter". Check with the American Petroleum Institute or the Society of Automotive Engineers and they will confirm this. The second number is the weight of the oil. A 5w40, or even a 0w40, will work for any application calling for a 15w40. A 5w40 will "flow" better at cold temps, but not because it is "thinner". A 40 weight molecule is a 40 weight molecule. But these molecules have irregular shapes to them. A 5w40 has more of the "irregular" shaped molucules refined out to make it more uniform and flow better. At least with the Group III synthetics. The Group IV synthetics or so-called "true" synthetics just have a more uniform structure because the irregular shapes were very limited in the original composition. But how they get there is almost irrelevant anymore. Both Group III and Group IV perform almost identical in the real world.

Get a good quality synthetic at the best price you can and enjoy life. My personal choice is Delo 400 LE 5w40 syn, primarily because I can get it right now for $19.95 a gallon. But all of the synthetics on the market will do a better job than most of us actually need.

Great analogy!

/ oil change time ??? #27  
i see on walmart online that they have a diesel syn.. all i've ever seen at the stores was a 5wx0 and 10w30

anybody seen it?

/ oil change time ??? #28  
Thanks very much, Copperhead. I will be on the lookout for some synthetic 5w-40 in case I need to move some snow. I know that my Walmart carries Rotella T6, not sure if they have the Delo.

Not sure of your area, as distribution is spotty, but I am getting the Delo I use at Wally World. Go online at Walmart and see if they carry it in your area. You may have to check a few Walmart locations around you to find one that does. If not, the T6 is a good product. Find the best price on any reliable brand and stock what you need. Don't overlook the farm and home brand stores. They sometimes will slip in quality name products at some impressive prices. I have seen the Mystik synthetics occasionally at a very good price. And that stuff is a very good quality oil as well.

/ oil change time ??? #29  

I know you stated this info is for synthetics, but I want to re-emphasize that fact so it's clear that this does not apply to conventional oil. Multi-weight conventional oil has pour point depressant additives that effect the way the paraffin molecules interact at lower temperatures. Once up to operating temperature a conventional 5W-40 is 40 weight but at lower temps it is a 5W to flow better.

I'm with the Amsoil group for synthetic and use it in all my garden tractors with filtered engines.

/ oil change time ??? #30  
unbidden said:
I use rotella t6 in everything:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ
ACEA E7
Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3

-------
Shell Rotella T6
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, C4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar
ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS
M2C171-E; JASO DH2, MA; Mack EO-0 Premium Plus; MAN 3275;
MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4

Me Too. :thumbsup:

I just wanted one oil on the shelf for everything, winter or summer, gas or diesel, lawnmower to tractor.

The main reason I've stuck as a T6 guy, even though the other diesel oils probably are fine, is that I also use the oil in my motorcycle so having the extra JASO MA spec makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :cloud9:

Copperhead said:
Don't overlook the farm and home brand stores.
Good point.

The local Farm store here, Orshlens, has their version of conventional oil called Country Tuff.

The benefit of using a Farm/Ag diesel oil is it is probably still just rated as a CI-4+ oil, higher in zinc (zddp), instead of the onroad EPA friendly CJ-4 oil. :tractor: