Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Default Re: oil change time ???

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaMOGuy View Post
    Me Too.

I just wanted one oil on the shelf for everything, winter or summer, gas or diesel, lawnmower to tractor.

The main reason I've stuck as a T6 guy, even though the other diesel oils probably are fine, is that I also use the oil in my motorcycle so having the extra JASO MA spec makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Good point.

The local Farm store here, Orshlens, has their version of conventional oil called Country Tuff.

The benefit of using a Farm/Ag diesel oil is it is probably still just rated as a CI-4+ oil, higher in zinc (zddp), instead of the onroad EPA friendly CJ-4 oil.
    Yup, my motorcycle likes the T6 as well. Like I said, I use it in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaMOGuy View Post
    Me Too.

I just wanted one oil on the shelf for everything, winter or summer, gas or diesel, lawnmower to tractor.

The main reason I've stuck as a T6 guy, even though the other diesel oils probably are fine, is that I also use the oil in my motorcycle so having the extra JASO MA spec makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Good point.

The local Farm store here, Orshlens, has their version of conventional oil called Country Tuff.

The benefit of using a Farm/Ag diesel oil is it is probably still just rated as a CI-4+ oil, higher in zinc (zddp), instead of the onroad EPA friendly CJ-4 oil.
    If you check the - Bob is the Oil Guy website, they have done virgin oil analysis on various brands and right now, the Delo product has the highest zinc of all the CJ-4 oils on the shelf. Something in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 ppm. I know my oil samples I have done on this stuff has shown zinc at that level as well.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post

If you check the - Bob is the Oil Guy website, they have done virgin oil analysis on various brands and right now, the Delo product has the highest zinc of all the CJ-4 oils on the shelf. Something in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 ppm. I know my oil samples I have done on this stuff has shown zinc at that level as well.
    Zinc is great slick agent, but it is water soluble and moisture will render it useless eventually.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Really a non issue in my case. I change oil so frequently that water contamination is never an issue. I change the oil every 20,000 miles in my truck, which plays out to be about every 1.5 to 1.75 months. And the sump is 38 qts. It would take a considerable amount of condensation to contaminate that much oil. But point taken on someone who goes a considerable amount of time between changes.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

I don't use any of the oils mentioned because I have heard seen a lot of their short comings. Most in general use are fine oils, but I don't trust any under extreme conditions . Several love to blend with water instead of separating. Which in an emergency, allows draining of the water. I personally work with a distributor that has found that some of the jobbers that are selling some oils at a discount aren't really selling what they claim. Obviously that is not true for all.

But if you want to see some weird/bad things, mix your engine/hydraulics/gear oils with water. Most of them the additives will blend with water. Most greases will simply wash away when water is added. I used to think that it was just dirt getting in my grease till someone did a demo for me and showed me that it was the water that was getting in the grease and not the dirt. Obviously you don't get a lot of water in your fluids, but it does give some thought to those who don't change their fluids often and the fluids slowly get diluted from condensation.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234