oil change time ???

/ oil change time ??? #31  
Me Too. :thumbsup:

I just wanted one oil on the shelf for everything, winter or summer, gas or diesel, lawnmower to tractor.

The main reason I've stuck as a T6 guy, even though the other diesel oils probably are fine, is that I also use the oil in my motorcycle so having the extra JASO MA spec makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :cloud9:

Good point.

The local Farm store here, Orshlens, has their version of conventional oil called Country Tuff.

The benefit of using a Farm/Ag diesel oil is it is probably still just rated as a CI-4+ oil, higher in zinc (zddp), instead of the onroad EPA friendly CJ-4 oil. :tractor:

Yup, my motorcycle likes the T6 as well. Like I said, I use it in everything.

/ oil change time ??? #32  
Me Too. :thumbsup:

I just wanted one oil on the shelf for everything, winter or summer, gas or diesel, lawnmower to tractor.

The main reason I've stuck as a T6 guy, even though the other diesel oils probably are fine, is that I also use the oil in my motorcycle so having the extra JASO MA spec makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :cloud9:

Good point.

The local Farm store here, Orshlens, has their version of conventional oil called Country Tuff.

The benefit of using a Farm/Ag diesel oil is it is probably still just rated as a CI-4+ oil, higher in zinc (zddp), instead of the onroad EPA friendly CJ-4 oil. :tractor:

If you check the - Bob is the Oil Guy website, they have done virgin oil analysis on various brands and right now, the Delo product has the highest zinc of all the CJ-4 oils on the shelf. Something in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 ppm. I know my oil samples I have done on this stuff has shown zinc at that level as well.

/ oil change time ??? #33  
If you check the - Bob is the Oil Guy website, they have done virgin oil analysis on various brands and right now, the Delo product has the highest zinc of all the CJ-4 oils on the shelf. Something in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 ppm. I know my oil samples I have done on this stuff has shown zinc at that level as well.

Zinc is great slick agent, but it is water soluble and moisture will render it useless eventually.

/ oil change time ??? #34  
Really a non issue in my case. I change oil so frequently that water contamination is never an issue. I change the oil every 20,000 miles in my truck, which plays out to be about every 1.5 to 1.75 months. And the sump is 38 qts. It would take a considerable amount of condensation to contaminate that much oil. But point taken on someone who goes a considerable amount of time between changes.

/ oil change time ??? #35  
I don't use any of the oils mentioned because I have heard seen a lot of their short comings. Most in general use are fine oils, but I don't trust any under extreme conditions . Several love to blend with water instead of separating. Which in an emergency, allows draining of the water. I personally work with a distributor that has found that some of the jobbers that are selling some oils at a discount aren't really selling what they claim. Obviously that is not true for all.

But if you want to see some weird/bad things, mix your engine/hydraulics/gear oils with water. Most of them the additives will blend with water. Most greases will simply wash away when water is added. I used to think that it was just dirt getting in my grease till someone did a demo for me and showed me that it was the water that was getting in the grease and not the dirt. Obviously you don't get a lot of water in your fluids, but it does give some thought to those who don't change their fluids often and the fluids slowly get diluted from condensation.