Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #1  

castiman

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 2520,jd x530
I made a 50 gallon diesel fuel tank a few years ago out of 20'' sch. 10 stainless pipe, and it has worked out good for me. I have a fill-rite hand pump on it with a automatic nozzle. I'm thinking on either making one for gas if I can get the material at a good price. But I'm also thinking on buying the 50 gallon steel transfer tank tractor supply has for $249. I am a little nervous about the safety aspect of pumping gas. What are the proper steps I should use on doing this. My plans are also using another fill-rite hand pump with a automatic nozzle.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #2  
well don't smoke while pumping.....

also may want to make sure the tank is well grounded. well really everything should be grounded- you, and whatever tank you are filling, but not sure if there is any real good practical way to ensure that.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #3  
I would be very concerned with safety here. Storage of gas inside a building is dangerous enough but refueling indoors is very risky. I would want to research local codes and also insurance coverage before making any decision on going forward. You may not be able to get insurance at all if storing that much fuel indoors. Also, a non certified storage vessel may be a code violation.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #4  
Gas vapor is very volatile and explosive. This sounds too dangerous in my opinion. The cost for the proper primary venting and backup venting would make this a very expensive convenience. As others have pointed out I am sure it may also have a negative impact your insurance options.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #5  
Storing and pumping gas inside a building is a bad idea. All sorts of things can go wrong from a lightning strike to a fume builup and a loose lightbulb connection that sparks on startup. Storing diesel is probably OK but the fumes of gasoline are too dangerous for me.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #6  
I am sure we all keep some gasoline containers in the shop or garage in non-vented containers which in itself is maybe not a good idea when we have so many things in an electrified building that could make a spark. The containers when in proper shape dont vent fumes when stored but do when fueling. I dont know if I would put a 50 gallon drum of gasoline in an enclosed building. Perhaps better would be a shed at least 15 feet (25 would be better) from your buildings with woven metal fencing around it for security.
When I lived on a farm as a kid, we kept gasoline and diesel in 500/1000 gallon storage tanks. Diesel was in elevated gravity tank and the gasoline was hand pumped. All were outside under shade trees to keep them a little cooler in summer. Of course back then we had real gas and it kept for months with no problems. Only worries we had was keeping the guys with the Arkansas Credit Card away from them. For those that dont know what the ACC is, that is a 5 gallon can and siphon hose.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #7  
Yes gas is dangerous but I don't think keeping it in a shed is a big deal. They make 14 and 30 gallon portable gas caddies for this. Just about any small engine shop you go in has at least one 30 gallon gas caddy with a hand pump (you know the red ones). Maybe I am wrong. I keep one in my shed about 50 feet from my house along with a few gas cans for stored generator gas. Am I wrong or is that OK??

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #8  
Yes gas is dangerous but I don't think keeping it in a shed is a big deal. They make 14 and 30 gallon portable gas caddies for this. Just about any small engine shop you go in has at least one 30 gallon gas caddy with a hand pump (you know the red ones). Maybe I am wrong. I keep one in my shed about 50 feet from my house along with a few gas cans for stored generator gas. Am I wrong or is that OK??

Five gallon cans is a shed doesn't seem like a problem. I do it. But a 100 gallon storage tank in an electrified building and fueling inside the building introduces a higher probability of things going wrong that can dramatically alter one's life and family. Maybe it works, and for some it will, and maybe it doesn't work.

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #9  
1* As others have pointed out I am sure it may also have a negative impact your insurance options.
2* I dont know if I would put a 50 gallon drum of gasoline in an enclosed building.
3* Perhaps better would be a shed at least 15 feet (25 would be better) from your buildings

1*It shouldn't if put in a seperate small shed like this one .
2*I wouldn't.
3*Mine is 37 feet from the nearest building.
~~ I would have liked 50 feet butter but I just didn't have the room . :cool2:

/ Inside Garage Storage Gas Tank #10  
I have always kept my gasoline containers in the shop (or garage when I didnt have a shop) but I had nothing in the garage to spark other than a car. Back then the containers had the plastic cap with an o-ring that you had to unscrew the filler neck and put in the cap to seal it. Never had fumes (no smell) back then. Now I keep all my fuel, my boat, my lawnmowers etc. in my boat / mower shed that just has electric lights. I dont do any welding in there so I feel a bit safer than what I used to do which was put the fuel containers to the rear wall away from my welding.