Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Default Re: Traveller/TSC oil

I been using Traveler oils from tractor supply for years,, I like it because I can get all of them at one place in 5 gal containers.. I have never had a problem that was the direct cause of the oils I use.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I use soo much oil.. but that I buy where cheaper between a few stores.. walmart, carquest and tractor supply.. the oils I use there are warren products. I looke dinto a 55g drum last year, and the savings were so small AND I'd have to handle the drum.. I decided to keep going with 5g pails...

I had some hyd work done at the dealer on a big NH tractor.. I asked them how the hyds looked after 6ys of warren utf fluid.

looked new inside.. and all within spec.. nothing galled.. no rotted orings.. no varnish..

tells me it can't be too bad..

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

And lets not forget regular changes too. does not matter how good it is, if it is never changed, you will be in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I use soo much oil.. but that I buy where cheaper between a few stores.. walmart, carquest and tractor supply.. the oils I use there are warren products. I looke dinto a 55g drum last year, and the savings were so small AND I'd have to handle the drum.. I decided to keep going with 5g pails...

I had some hyd work done at the dealer on a big NH tractor.. I asked them how the hyds looked after 6ys of warren utf fluid.

looked new inside.. and all within spec.. nothing galled.. no rotted orings.. no varnish..

tells me it can't be too bad..
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    the specs are right ont he side of the traveler oil.

the premium utf meets most.. ( probably not thf.. etc.. )

I've used warren oils for years.. no lube related failures.
    Actually a pretty incorrect mind set.

Most do not meed the newer JD and kubota spec, even though the packages says they do.

It's just like gold Anti-freeze being able to work in everything. It doesn't.

Edit:

After reading warrens product data sheet, I can tell you it does not meet the cold pour points dictated to meet the new specs. Yes, I am in the oil business. I know lots about Warren Oil, who they get their base oil from and who they sell to. As for TSC/Traveler's brand, I cannot tell as they do not have a posted MSDS/Product Data sheet, which someone should inform them that is a bit illegal. They claim on their website -44 degrees, which would pass. However, without a product data sheet it's impossible to tell.

Just because the package says it does, doesn't mean it does. As always, be careful what you buy.
    Last edited by Foxtrot08; 12-05-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    ~Fox
    Tractors: JD 2305 w/ MMM & 200CX, NH TN60A w/ 32LA loader, NH Boomer 2420, IH 806 Turbo (Restored, 1964), Farmall Super C (Restored(1952), MF 240S,IH Cub low-boy.

Attachments... too many!

Equipment - JD 317, CAT 262, JD 50ZTS, Cat 301.5, Cat 910, CAT 416C IT w/ EHOE, IH TD7E, IH T6(Restored w/ BE Blade package, 1948 w/ 1952 blade)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot08 View Post
    Actually a pretty incorrect mind set.

Most do not meed the newer JD and kubota spec, even though the packages says they do.

It's just like gold Anti-freeze being able to work in everything. It doesn't.

Edit:

After reading warrens product data sheet, I can tell you it does not meet the cold pour points dictated to meet the new specs. Yes, I am in the oil business. I know lots about Warren Oil, who they get their base oil from and who they sell to.

Just because the package says it does, doesn't mean it does. As always, be careful what you buy.
    A fellow TBNer posted this a short time back, (my apologies for forgetting who) and I think this is a good time to repost it. Snake oil sometimes comes in quart bottles.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Canute View Post
    A fellow TBNer posted this a short time back, (my apologies for forgetting who) and I think this is a good time to repost it. Snake oil sometimes comes in quart bottles.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
    Exactly. Great site to go, as well api.org

For UTF/THF - a good way to tell if it's the newest add pack or not, see if it meets the -43 degree cold pour point. If it doesn't, then it's not current spec tractor hydraulic. Not saying it will harm your tractor, but it's not the correct spec for new smaller tractors.

Spec's for oils change all the time. Major oil companies keep up with them, most high quality compound blenders do as well. Because they are the ones making JD / kubota / MF / NH / etc. Oils. I still run into people that do not realize that diesel engine oil spec changed in 2003, from CI4+ to CJ4 oil. 4 years ago we went from GF4 passenger car motor oil, to GF5 motor oil. Now, in the next two years or less, we will be seeing GF6 and a whole new range of engine oil viscosity. Gone are the days of 10w30 - unless you count diesel engines. Ford new's spec is 10w30 diesel engine oil. We're seeing a rising demand for fleets that run new semi engines - 10w30 vs 15w40.

Oil changes, it's not just dino oil anymore. I've grown up in the oil industry, I live it, I work in it and I'm well on my way to being a certified lubricant engineer. I've spent a lot of time in different lubricant engineering schools. And for those who say "well it worked in X application" - I'll just pose this in return. The fundamentals of lubrication are simple. Even if you're not using the proper lubricant, it still might work - the question is for how long, how well, and how often do you have to change it. A perfect example is engine oil. I'm sure I could put straight 40w in my tractor and it would work fine. But I would have to change it more often, deal with dead batteries or have a block heater, and I will be putting more stress on cold start ups / the oil pump. It will work, but it's not working properly. Dull mower blades still technically work, they just don't work properly.

I still have this exact article hanging in my office... found it online. It's specifically about Tractor Hydraulic fluids.

Please read:

http://www.jobbersworld.com/Reprintmarch%203%20col.pdf

Again, just because you see a label full of spec's on it, doesn't mean it #1 meets them, or #2 the spec's have anything to do with YOUR tractor. JD-303 spec is the classic example... Because, you know... Sperm whale oil is still in use...

Jobber's world is an oil industry / distributor monthly magazine. Lots of good articles in there regarding oil.
    ~Fox
    Tractors: JD 2305 w/ MMM & 200CX, NH TN60A w/ 32LA loader, NH Boomer 2420, IH 806 Turbo (Restored, 1964), Farmall Super C (Restored(1952), MF 240S,IH Cub low-boy.

Attachments... too many!

Equipment - JD 317, CAT 262, JD 50ZTS, Cat 301.5, Cat 910, CAT 416C IT w/ EHOE, IH TD7E, IH T6(Restored w/ BE Blade package, 1948 w/ 1952 blade)

Elite Member

I've used it for years in everything from a 20 ton excavator to compact tractors, probably 15+or- different machines and have never had an issue. Course I care more about the product then I do a "name". You can dress up a cat to look like a dog but that doesn't mean it'll bark.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I believe I specifically called out the thf.. etc.

.. As for TSC/Traveler's brand, I cannot tell as they do not have a posted MSDS/Product Data sheet, which someone should inform them that is a bit illegal. .
    i'm pretty sure i found it just recently when downloading msds for work.

soundguy

Bronze Member

Should be able to get it here Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oils. That's the company that makes them, not to be confused with Warren Oils.

Tractor

wouldn't surprise me.. many ties house branded oils jump manufacturers if the price is right.

i see coastal is still a unilube product...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast